PDA

View Full Version : LED and Sps

essencereefer
01/07/2014, 08:57 PM
Hi. My tank is a 24" cube. Primarily SPS with lots lps down low in the tank. My parameters are always pretty constant. Tunze skimmer, Kalk and bio calcium and water changes. Used to run a 10bulb power module. Way too much light. But had great colours and good penetration. Recently moved and changed the lighting to a maxspect razor. Lately my SPScorals have been bleaching from the base up. Real real slow though. So perhaps this will reverse before the need to frag. LPS are ridiculously happy.
Have others had similar problems. Any solutions you know of? Advice....
I'd rather not go back to the T5's if it is not necessary.
Thanks in advance.

sanababit
01/07/2014, 09:05 PM
Patience padawan, went thru the same problem, things are getting back to normal, after 5-6 months tough, good luck

Sana

essencereefer
01/07/2014, 09:08 PM
Don't know about the padawan, bit, but ok. Still I'd like as many anecdotal insight as possible. I was wondering if perhaps, due to the back to front of 24, that I may require two units. shading seems to be an issue for the SPS as well.

Aqualund
01/08/2014, 12:33 AM
Don't try to preach on me, I am to Old to Change and to Intelliget to follow the Lemmings

Can't handle the spelling errors. Had to comment.

Essence, maybe borrow a par meter and measure what you are getting? They might not be getting enough light...compared to a 10 bulb t5 unit.

essencereefer
01/08/2014, 06:48 AM
Yeah Aqualund, I feel that they are getting less. Though the info I've read says they are not. Looked at some of the "dispersion" images from one of the lighting guys. Seems to me there is little dispersion of the light. And have been trying to find the ideal placement of the lighting over my cube. Read a bunch of posts by people going back to t5. I really don't want to do that. The ease of use and the colour change during the day, and no bulb changes is a real BIG plus.
We'll see I guess.

pkirby
01/08/2014, 09:07 AM
LED's have provided me great growth on my SPS and LPS both; however, shadowing does seem worse and the bases of several SPS have lost color... the rest of the coral looks great though! I'm personally considering adding a t5 bulb in front and behind my LED. I don't really want to do this either; however, I believe it'll cut down on the shadowing greatly and hopefully help with the color loss at the base of the corals. overall energy increase would be minimal on a 24" tank and replacing two bulbs per year wouldn't add a ton to cost. Considering you wouldn't be relying on the t5 for your primary lighting, you could possibly go longer between bulb replacement?