PDA

View Full Version : Mg and Iodine

mpderksen
01/08/2014, 12:52 AM
This may be 2 separate posts, sorry.

Since I got a Mg test kit, I know it's sitting at 1100. I bought a bottle of B-Ionic, since that's the 2-part I use. Instructions call for 1.5mL/gal daily until I get it up to where I want it. First, I was planning on a target of 1250-1300. Reasonable? Second, once it's there, and I watch it, will it need daily dosing to maintain? I only have 2 dosing pumps, and it would be difficult to add a third (would also need another PC4 for my RKL and the space is pretty cramped). The video on BRS TV said they add a bottle of Mg only after going through a full bottle of 2-part. Seems odd to me. The most logical is to raise as prescribed, then continue to test and watch and see, right? I tend to automate stuff that I get tired of doing.

Iodine. There's no test for it that I see. Yet with new cleaner and coral banded shrimps added to the tank, I know iodine is important to supplement since they molt. Wisdom says "only dose what you can test for". Is iodine supplement just snake oil? Or would it be beneficial?