PDA

View Full Version : filtration ideas

rccub23
01/08/2014, 10:22 AM
I have a jbj nano that has been up and running for about
four months. what do you guys use for filtration. I have
carbon, and a bunch of the blue coarse filter pads, I cut into
smaller pieces in the filter on the rear of the tank in the
center part. is there something I can use that would be better.
thanks for any help.

ASpec
01/08/2014, 10:58 AM
How many gallons? Most people run Purigen along with either carbon or chemi-pure in Nano's

My basket is stacked as follows: Filter Floss, Sea Gel, Purigen.

I started using Sea Gel since it's a mix of carbon and phosphate remover. I don't have high phosphate levels but rather be safe than sorry. No skimmer and weekly water changes of 25%.

tntdsol
01/08/2014, 11:58 AM
How many gallons? Most people run Purigen along with either carbon or chemi-pure in Nano's

My basket is stacked as follows: Filter Floss, Sea Gel, Purigen.

I started using Sea Gel since it's a mix of carbon and phosphate remover. I don't have high phosphate levels but rather be safe than sorry. No skimmer and weekly water changes of 25%.

I second this. Purigen and Chemi-pure is the way to go. If you can modify a AC filter to work as a refuge then that is also an option. But the use of the Purigen and Chemi-pure along with weekly water changes should be enough to keep your tank where it needs to be.

rccub23
01/08/2014, 12:38 PM
thanks for the quick replys.
the tank is 29 gallon.

wickerj
01/08/2014, 12:58 PM
Put a skimmer on it and change 5-10 gallons of water every 2 weeks. if you want more, use a BRS reactor and run GFO/carbon in it.

Punkrawk
01/08/2014, 01:15 PM
I removed the media basket in mine and placed live rock rubble in the left and right compartments. I have a Purigen sponge catching the alrge debris on top of the live rock rubble.

In the second row of compartments I have a filter sock with carbon and one with Phosban.

So far this has worked for me and I have not had a need for a skimmer as my bioload is relatively small.

Reefer54
01/08/2014, 01:26 PM
on the 24 i had years back, i put LR in the back chambers as well as an extra filter pad adn carbon. I eventually put a small hang on skimmer on it which really helped a lot. I always wanted to mod in a sump, and I still wish i had....it would have made water changes a lot easier and it also would have helped with lowering the frequency of topoff and stability for the params.

good luck, have fun. Nanos are cool as you can do so much to them to really make a specific environment and add mods at low cost.