PDA

View Full Version : Reef advantage calcium?

billyboy69
01/09/2014, 05:39 PM
I just picked up some at the LFS anyone using it ? Just wanna hear some feedback on this stuff

outssider
01/10/2014, 05:55 PM
I've used it, works fine !

Flakes
01/10/2014, 06:22 PM
Seachem's calcium chloride product.Works as well as any other commercial calcium additive.

dppitone
01/11/2014, 07:29 AM
I agree it is pretty standard formulation that all brands sell, and helps building of corals and clams. For coralline, dose the Seachem Reef Calcium, which is a different compound then the Advantage.

Flakes
01/11/2014, 09:48 AM
I suggest you do a search on 'polygluconate' in the forum for that product before you use it.There are some risks involved.

dppitone
01/11/2014, 10:28 AM
The purported risks of reef calcium type products are speculative and unconclusive. Folks making best guesses. It facilitates the growing of coralline IME and if that's your objective it'll be fine, and is not harmful if dosed correctly. If dosed incorrectly, then just like with any other supplement, it can be a detrimental fuel in the tank.

Flakes
01/11/2014, 10:42 AM
Can you give us some details on how coralline could benefit from this product?I don't think that a lot of people really experimented with this product.Probably because of reading comments like mine above. :)

dppitone
01/11/2014, 11:00 AM
It was my experience that when I first used it I used it per the instructions, where Seachem said it would help with coralline, but I had some problems with other outbreaks and it just didn't seem right to me. I then cut the dose to about a 1/4 of what's recommended and found that I did get more coralline, thicker, but without any related problems. That's my experience, but it's anecdotal. Since then, whenever I've dosed something new I start very low and raise it as needed.

bigchris7226
01/11/2014, 11:49 AM
I've used it for 2yrs now along with reef builder-never had an issue with it- great growth!. The liquid one has a polyglutonate binder which can cause asst algae outbreaks. Reef advantage also has mag & strontium in it too-just be careful dosing it-has to be added slowly.