PDA

View Full Version : Some help with a Canon t3i, settings...

triggreef
01/09/2014, 07:17 PM
I need some help with getting colors to look right. I'm sure someone has to have it dialed in to a sweet spot for LED's. I have reefbreeders if that helps.

All colors look pretty right on except blue. Blue looks ok on fish, but not coral. For some reason I can't get the blue to show up even remotely close to how it is in real life. I tried messing around with all the settings but I really don't know what I'm doing with them and I'm probably negating what I do with one setting when I move to another setting.

Here is about the best I can get of this Joe the Coral:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/badaszx9r/Mobile%20Uploads/aquariums/Joecoral_zpsb65f7b76.jpg

And it should look like this, which I just realized apparently everyone has a hard time getting that blue, because this is the only one close I could find on google....

as it looks in real life in my tank:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/badaszx9r/Mobile%20Uploads/aquariums/hu8eperu_zps110b5ad3.jpg

jroovers
01/10/2014, 08:01 AM
First you are going to have to custom white balance your camera. Read the stickys, that will help. Or just google T3i custom white balancing, and that should walk you through it. That will help you get in the ball park. What is the spectrum of your LEDs? If you are shooting under just blue LEDs, getting a balanced shot is difficult at best. If you have fuller spectrum lighting, that may help you. Shooting under LEDs can be tricky - makes trying to learn how to white balance and what not else difficult. You can also use your post processing software (like DPP) to dial in your WB in post, or use another program (e.g. lightroom, aperture, PS).

triggreef
01/10/2014, 10:22 AM
I have more of a full spectrum. The whites are 65k it is actually the stock reefbreeder 32's but I replaced 4 whites on each fixture with 2 green and 2 red.

jroovers
01/10/2014, 10:31 AM
I have more of a full spectrum. The whites are 65k it is actually the stock reefbreeder 32's but I replaced 4 whites on each fixture with 2 green and 2 red.

Have you tried custom WBing yet? What setting are you using, auto? That won't work very well. Try going through the steps to custom WB, and go from there... also, do you use DPP much? That will help also (further tuning WB in post with the software).