PDA

View Full Version : Should i dunk my pump in vinegar?

Art13
01/10/2014, 08:28 AM
I have a rio pump that i use for salt mix, lately, its been acting up. pumping, then making the trying to pump noise but nothing is happening, and then pumping again? Will vinegar fix this or should i be investing in a new propeller? I'm asking about vinegar as i'm thinking theres a possibility for salt build up or calcium on the pump, though i can't really see it on there so it must be hard to see or minor if its there, I'm rambling, what would be the best way to go about this?

Art13
01/10/2014, 08:31 AM
and why the hello is the impeller more than half the cost of a new pump?

thegrun
01/10/2014, 08:34 AM
Soak it overnight. If it is still running you can also let it run in vinegar overnight. The calcium usually builds up on the impeller shaft, so I would take the pump apart to allow the vinegar to easily get to the impeller opening and the shaft itself.

Vinny Kreyling
01/10/2014, 08:35 AM
Try it!
Can't hurt.

Art13
01/10/2014, 08:52 AM
was planning on taking it apart first, i never really remove it from water, its always sitting in r/o water after i use it to mix. guess it couldn't hurt, also, i'm guessing after a rinse off from the vinegar, any traces of it will evaporate correct? or it will be something that just won't effect my system?

Coral Frenzy
01/10/2014, 08:59 AM
I agree, it can't hurt.

Vinny Kreyling
01/10/2014, 09:07 AM
A little vinegar will be fine, people use it for carbon dosing.

Art13
01/10/2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info, i'll give it a shot, whats a good amount of time to let it soak?

Bpawl
01/10/2014, 09:45 AM
I would soak it at least overnight.

Palting
01/10/2014, 11:07 AM
I have two Rio Plus pumps, running 4 years now. Excellent bang for the buck pumps. I take them apart as needed, soak all the parts in undiluted vinegar for about 30 minutes, then clean everything off with a toothbrush. Taking it apart guarantees that you will get all the moving parts and bushings cleaned, for a longer maintenance free period.

ca1ore
01/10/2014, 12:16 PM
and why the hello is the impeller more than half the cost of a new pump?

They charge what they figure people will be willing to pay, not based on cost to manufacture. It's a rip, I agree, but it is what it is!

jaguarmonk
01/10/2014, 12:40 PM
I have a few Rio pumps. The impeller price is completely ridiculous, have had to replace them due to broken shafts... the broken shafts were because they got calcified and seized up.... So in short.... Yes, soak them in vinegar.

I usually take the whole thing apart, and soak it all in vinegar and hot water overnight. If there is any calcification left, I then scrub it with an old toothbrush. Good as new... Repeat as needed.

Art13
01/10/2014, 02:17 PM
I've got it soaking now, has been for a few hours, hopefully this will fix my issue, i need it to make a batch of mix tomorrow.