PDA

View Full Version : Apex Salinity

matty0206
01/10/2014, 11:57 PM
I recently purchased the PM2 and am now looking at the probe but wondering if those that use it think it's worth the $125 price tag?
If so, any tricks to using it, placement? I know I need the 53 ms calibration solution but how often does it need to be calibrated, wondering so I can buy what I will need for a while the first time.

Thanks.

Mark Bianco
01/11/2014, 04:40 AM
I put mine in over a year ago and have not had to recalibrate. What are you going to use it for? Just general observation to check the salinity level, or will you use it for like shutting down you ATO if the salinity is low. Just curious.

Mark

matty0206
01/11/2014, 07:50 AM
I think more general monitoring for swings, I would like to have a fail safe for the ATO also though. I use a spectra pure unit and have had some issues with salinity stability.

zenom
01/11/2014, 09:22 AM
Mine reads a tad low even with calibration. To me it's worth it for piece of mind more than anything. It also helps me see what my tank does when I am sleeping so I can chart major changes or mistakes I have made.

matty0206
01/11/2014, 11:21 AM
Mine reads a tad low even with calibration. To me it's worth it for piece of mind more than anything. It also helps me see what my tank does when I am sleeping so I can chart major changes or mistakes I have made.

Yeah I am kinda lazy when it comes to my tank and being able to glance at the screen instead of breaking out the refractometer for peace of mind is appealing. I went ahead and ordered it because I needed a few other items anyway.

In recommendation on placement? I have my temp and Ph probes in the baffles in my sump, would that work for this?

Mark Bianco
01/11/2014, 02:25 PM
Yes you can put it anywhere there is water

zenom
01/11/2014, 03:28 PM
I have mine in my skimmer area in the sump. I bought a 3 probe holder from BRS. I had to drill out one of the holes to fit the temperature probe, but it works fine.

ca1ore
01/11/2014, 09:36 PM
I find buildup of tube worms on all my probes necessitate vinegar cleaning about every six months, so that is when I re calibrate my salinity probe. I also use it for general monitoring, though I do use it a a fail safe on my ATO in the unlikely event of multiple float switch failures.

KyleO
01/12/2014, 05:30 PM
I find buildup of tube worms on all my probes necessitate vinegar cleaning about every six months, so that is when I re calibrate my salinity probe. I also use it for general monitoring, though I do use it a a fail safe on my ATO in the unlikely event of multiple float switch failures.

Is there a way to program for a big swing in Salinity rather than just reacting by threshold? I would love to be notified upon a large swing in salinity/conductivity as opposed to waiting until it passes a high or low threshold