PDA

View Full Version : Can a dwarf (toby) puffer be kept with shrimp?

reefgoddess808
01/11/2014, 09:46 AM
Hello!
I have a small blue dot toby puffer, I have had him a little over a year. I had no intentions of wanting a reef tank when I started so I didn't care that he wasn't 100% reef safe.
Now I would like to add a shrimp or two. They are super fun to watch and brightly colored, who wouldn't want one?! LOL
However, I can't seem to find any definitive accounts of puffers and shrimp co-existing so I am hoping to hear some testimonials from others who have attempted this. I don't want to spend $40 on a shrimp just to have him gobbled up over night. Any real experience is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

FTDelta
01/11/2014, 10:22 AM
No. The puffer will eat shrimps.

Khemul
01/11/2014, 10:48 AM
It's theoretically possible. No one can really tell you for sure, because it depends entirely on the personality of your puffer. "No" is the safe answer, since any puffer is capable of taking out inverts (and fish for that matter). It has been done though.

You could start with a cheaper shrimp that you wouldn't mind having. Peppermint is a possibility. Ghost Shrimp are seen as food by everything, so they may or may not work as a test.

syrinx
01/11/2014, 10:53 AM
I have had them have no issues with shrimps such as blood red and skunk cleaners, but that is likely individual taste. They can shred the shrimps if they choose to, so as above the safest answer is no.

GroktheCube
01/11/2014, 11:54 AM
My GF has had two valentinis that are totally fine with her sexy shrimp. They mostly seem to go after pods and tiny snails.

NTP66
01/11/2014, 01:01 PM
Is yours a c. papua? When I added a few peppermint shrimp to my tank, my puffer spent the rest of the day stalking and attacking the shrimp. You might catch a break, but be prepared to eat the cost of the shrimp just in case.

GroktheCube
01/11/2014, 01:33 PM
Hers is a C. valentini. Both were small when got them, which might be a factor.

reefgoddess808
01/11/2014, 02:11 PM
Thank you all for the input! Its kinda what I figured but I didn't know if maybe certain shrimp are avoided due to symbiosis or bad taste or something. I guess Ill have to have a separate tank for some shrimp! LOL

And yes he is a c. paupa, he attacks new snails for about a week and then gets bored and leaves them alone. He has never bothered any of my crabs, hermits or emeralds, so I was hopeful. I had seen where some nudis like the lettuce slug are left alone due to bad taste.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Reef Frog
01/11/2014, 03:43 PM
I wonder if a large shrimp like an adult Coral Bander shrimp, or a shrimp capable of defending itself like a Mantis, would work?

reefgoddess808
01/12/2014, 12:57 PM
Hmmm...maybe. Id feel so bad if the shrimp was eaten though LOL. And a mantis is more than I am willing to deal with. Thanks for the suggestions though!