PDA

View Full Version : PRO G3 upgrade path??

nashorn
01/11/2014, 03:03 PM
Wonder will there be a upgrade path for pervious versions??
Looks like the housing maybe different.

Doug7110
01/11/2014, 03:25 PM
I've heard that you'll be able to upgrade the puks without the new caseing

mpsti05
01/11/2014, 11:03 PM
I've heard that you'll be able to upgrade the puks without the new caseing

This will be nice if true!

Doug7110
01/12/2014, 12:56 AM
Seen this info on ur from uk distributor

Arkayology
01/12/2014, 01:08 AM
I'm not really sure why they bothered changing the buttons. Isn't part of the point of reef link to make it so we don't have to use the buttons in the first place? It's good to hear that the upgrades will continue though as I'm sure that is part of the reason most of us bought this fixture in the first place.

calistyle
01/13/2014, 10:44 AM
From MD:

When will cluster kit upgrades be available for Gen1, Gen2, and Pro fixtures to be retrofit?
Feburary 3rd for purchase.

Can any version of a Radion be upgraded to either version of the Gen3 Radion?
Yes. But only the clusters. The exterior appearance cannot be changed with the exception of the lens frame. This may be offered separately from the G3 and G3 PRO Cluster retrofit kits at a later date after initial demand for Gen 3 Radion fixtures is fulfilled.

shamus
01/13/2014, 12:29 PM
From MD:

When will cluster kit upgrades be available for Gen1, Gen2, and Pro fixtures to be retrofit?
Feburary 3rd for purchase.

Can any version of a Radion be upgraded to either version of the Gen3 Radion?
Yes. But only the clusters. The exterior appearance cannot be changed with the exception of the lens frame. This may be offered separately from the G3 and G3 PRO Cluster retrofit kits at a later date after initial demand for Gen 3 Radion fixtures is fulfilled.

That is good news!!

mfinn
01/13/2014, 05:55 PM
I just wish I could do the Pro upgrade

nashorn
01/14/2014, 03:05 PM
I just wish I could do the Pro upgrade

For me it was nt and day. I didn't think it would be but Sps has better color and growth with the pro compare to my other g1
Guess I'll do the g3 pro when I can afford it.

Alex Y EcoTech
01/15/2014, 08:07 AM
We will be making an upgrade path available for new 3rd generation Radions. More details will be released shortly!

bee144
01/16/2014, 01:15 PM
We will be making an upgrade path available for new 3rd generation Radions. More details will be released shortly!

Price? Please be $150-$200 since the Radion's overall price has been lowered. :D

cali9dub
01/17/2014, 07:02 PM
Price? Please be $150-$200 since the Radion's overall price has been lowered. :D

It'd be nice if it was a user install friendly feature. Hate paying over $300 for something I can do myself....at least give us the option at a reduced price.

klwheat
01/21/2014, 07:08 AM

Woohoo! Waiting (not so) patiently :)
I've been looking to replace my G1's...now I have an even better reason.

Alex Y EcoTech
01/21/2014, 08:07 AM
Please see the attached link for more information on upgrades: http://ecotechmarine.com/news/g3-retrofit/

klwheat
01/21/2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks Alex! One more quick question...what lens is included? I would like to get the pro upgrade with the 120 lens.

GatorAlum05
01/21/2014, 09:18 AM
Alex, will this upgrade affect our sync ability with reeflink? Will it be disconnected on the software side? or is this a plain hardware replacement? Thanks!

shamus
01/21/2014, 09:53 AM
awesome job guys

Arkayology
01/21/2014, 11:08 AM
Alex,
The prices seem reasonable this time around. It doesn't look like I will be able to upgrade however as I do not have a spare fixture to put over my tank while I send in my radion for the upgrade. Oh well.

nly04
01/21/2014, 04:35 PM
Awesome, So people who currently owned G1 are has the most benefit. I will do this upgrade. If you don't have the G1 then buy an used one for around $350 plus $275 upgrade then you have the latest G3PRO for only $625. Compare to $749 from retail you save $$.

nly04
01/21/2014, 04:36 PM
Please see the attached link for more information on upgrades: http://ecotechmarine.com/news/g3-retrofit/

By the way, if I chose the upgrade G3 cluster retrofit path, what is the warranty?

Alex Y EcoTech
01/22/2014, 08:49 AM
Alex, will this upgrade affect our sync ability with reeflink? Will it be disconnected on the software side? or is this a plain hardware replacement? Thanks!

A hardware upgrade to the Radion will in no way affect communication with ESL or the ReefLink.

Alex Y EcoTech
01/22/2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks Alex! One more quick question...what lens is included? I would like to get the pro upgrade with the 120 lens.

KLwheat,

The upgrade kit will not contain any lenses.

LinkinReef
01/22/2014, 01:32 PM
Hey Alex,

I noticed on the links that it says:

"Generation 1 fixtures must be returned to EcoTech to be retrofitted"

I only have that one fixture and don't have a spare light for my tank while this one is sent to you guys. Will we still be able to do the "Service Exchange Program (SEP)" the same way as it was before for those of us in this situation?

Alex Y EcoTech
01/22/2014, 02:03 PM
LinkinReef,

With generation 1 Radions, they will need to be sent in to be retrofit. We will not be offering the service exchange program for any Radion retro fit kits.

Ajskennels
01/22/2014, 05:25 PM
the way im seeing it this is a end user upgrade ( correct me if im wrong) unlike the previous upgrade options where you had to send it in, so if upgrading a g2 ( not pro) to a g3 or g3 pro by just changing the pucks, will it also have 6 channel color control or still the 5 channels?

BoxesOfTheSea
01/22/2014, 06:54 PM
Gen I owners are in a tough spot, having to send the unit in for an upgrade. Most folks don't have a backup light capable of sustaining SPS.

Millticket
01/22/2014, 09:12 PM
Gen I owners are in a tough spot, having to send the unit in for an upgrade. Most folks don't have a backup light capable of sustaining SPS.

+1

I currently have a G1 and G2. I was thinking how nice it would be to atleast update the G1, but i don't have the time table to be sending the G1 to EM, waiting, and then it getting shipped back to me.

I hope this won't be the case going forward that with each new generation, you guys eliminate and older generation upgrade path. But, if that's the case I'll just be rocking out the G1 and G2. As long as my corals are doing great, I'm happy.

Cheers :D

Arkayology
01/22/2014, 10:16 PM
+1

I currently have a G1 and G2. I was thinking how nice it would be to atleast update the G1, but i don't have the time table to be sending the G1 to EM, waiting, and then it getting shipped back to me.

I hope this won't be the case going forward that with each new generation, you guys eliminate and older generation upgrade path. But, if that's the case I'll just be rocking out the G1 and G2. As long as my corals are doing great, I'm happy.

Cheers :D

I agree. Ecotech has put us in a difficult spot. I am not sure how they expect to get my money if I only have 1 lighting fixture.

OrionN
01/22/2014, 10:54 PM
I was told that the G1 need internal changes also to make it compatible to the G3 or G3 Pro light cluster. That is why G1 need to be send in.
I am really happy that the upgrade cost is not too much. I got 9 lights, all either G1 or G2. I just need to send it the G1 one or two at a time and upgrade. If I am happy with it then I will get the upgrade for the G2.

OrionN
01/22/2014, 10:55 PM
I agree. Ecotech has put us in a difficult spot. I am not sure how they expect to get my money if I only have 1 lighting fixture.
You can alway set up the trusty old MH for a week or two while sending your G1 back for upgrade.

Sisterlimonpot
01/23/2014, 07:36 AM
Orion,
Of course there are other options to do this, not everybody has a spare light laying around. I wonder what the process is to upgrade them. I only have the gen 1s, and I've opened one up to try to replace the fan. There's a lot of components that are glued down, I would guess that's the reason for sending them in. I would imagine that when they designed the gen 1s that they didn't think they'd be doing this now. If it is a complicated task far beyond the scope of the average person I doubt that there will be any other alternative.

And given Ecotechs track record, I'm sure they're brainstorming on a logical way to accommodate those that want to upgrade and can't sacrifice their tanks being dark for that time period.

rcharliesam
01/23/2014, 09:51 AM
I am a gen 1 owner, I have the same concerns about the upgrade process as I do not have a backup light.

klwheat
01/23/2014, 10:12 AM
wow...just found this....bummer!
I'm hoping to upgrade my g1 to g3pro. Don't know how that's going to work now :(

Arkayology
01/23/2014, 10:56 AM
You can alway set up the trusty old MH for a week or two while sending your G1 back for upgrade.
I wish i still had it or I would :(

Orion,
Of course there are other options to do this, not everybody has a spare light laying around. I wonder what the process is to upgrade them. I only have the gen 1s, and I've opened one up to try to replace the fan. There's a lot of components that are glued down, I would guess that's the reason for sending them in. I would imagine that when they designed the gen 1s that they didn't think they'd be doing this now. If it is a complicated task far beyond the scope of the average person I doubt that there will be any other alternative.

And given Ecotechs track record, I'm sure they're brainstorming on a logical way to accommodate those that want to upgrade and can't sacrifice their tanks being dark for that time period.
I would like to think that Ecotech would have thought this was a possibility since they marketed the Radion as modular/upgradable from day 1. I hope they figure it out, but Alex makes it sound like they are going to leave those of us who want to upgrade behind if we don't have backup fixtures.

wow...just found this....bummer!
I'm hoping to upgrade my g1 to g3pro. Don't know how that's going to work now :(
Exactly.

OrionN
01/24/2014, 06:14 AM
I think y'all got spoiled by EchoTech with their first upgrade offer from G1 to G2/G2 Pro. Get a used MH set up would not be bad.

Consider back up plan/spare light. Radion's fan can go out and your light will shut down at some point in the future. Unless you have some sort of back up plan at these time, your tank will be in the dark. From time to time, you will need to get your Radion service. Consider have a spare fan kit on hand at all time. IME, this is the most likely problem. Also Ballast can sometime can go bad (rare I was told).

Be warn, these LED light, EchoTech or other brands, are not indestructible like MH. In all my years (24 years) as a reefkeeper, I had VHO go out and LED problem but never MH. MH is essentially, especially the magnetic ballast, indestructible. It would be wise for us to invest in a light setup for emergency. This is not very expensive at this time.

I love my Radion light. I got 9 of them. In the past I got huge chillers, noisy fans, hot fish room. Air condition system dedicated to my fish room..... None of that at this time and I can use my heater to set the temp exactly where I want it. My electricity bill used to bite me every month, not any more.

mwladdicted
01/24/2014, 01:27 PM
Idk what you expect them to do, get a backup or don't upgrade. They probably got ripped off a couple times with the last SEP. I don't blame them. There are reef clubs in every state with plenty of generous people to lend a light if you don't want to buy a cheap back up.

What is the turn around time on the re-fit anyways?

Alex Y EcoTech
01/24/2014, 03:07 PM
What is the turn around time on the re-fit anyways?

We do our best to process upgrades the same day we receive them.

jeffreylam1132
01/24/2014, 05:14 PM
So, Feb. 3 is the date we can start sending in our unit? Do we need to include the power supply?

Arkayology
01/24/2014, 06:19 PM
Can ecotech please comment on what specifically is added to the gen1 to gen3 upgrade? Will we be given new fans as part of the update included?

I think y'all got spoiled by EchoTech with their first upgrade offer from G1 to G2/G2 Pro. Get a used MH set up would not be bad.

Considering that people pay a premium for the service, I don't think anyone is being spoiled.

mfinn
01/24/2014, 06:28 PM
but Alex makes it sound like they are going to leave those of us who want to upgrade behind if we don't have backup fixtures.

It's not up to Ecotech to make sure you have backup equipment.
That's your problem.

Arkayology
01/24/2014, 06:53 PM
That's your problem.
If they offer an exchange program before, but not now, there is a clear trajectory moving away from being as willing to work with people on it.

I have moved beyond this though. At first I was annoyed, but I will just borrow a fixture from someone if I choose to upgrade.

Sisterlimonpot
01/24/2014, 07:00 PM
That's your problem.

You're right, However many people that want to upgrade aren't going to be able to. this will limits the number of upgrades that are going to be done.

mfinn
01/24/2014, 07:49 PM
If they offer an exchange program before, but not now, there is a clear trajectory moving away from being as willing to work with people on it.

I have moved beyond this though. At first I was annoyed, but I will just borrow a fixture from someone if I choose to upgrade.

Yes they did, and I was going to take advantage of it, but I waited too long.
Oh well.
I was hoping to end up with a brand new fixture, for just the upgrade price.
Now I will have to settle for a rebuild for $275.
Still a pretty good deal,IMO

I have a couple options as I like to hang on to some equipment for back up.

I would think that many people in local fish clubs would be able to lend a cheapo fixture of somesort to someone in need.

mfinn
01/31/2014, 05:56 PM
By the way, if I chose the upgrade G3 cluster retrofit path, what is the warranty?

I don't think this question got answered.

jameshongth
02/02/2014, 08:08 PM
Sound great to upgrade from G1 to Pro G3 but can G1 support 6 channels after upgraded?

Btw, any different with the Pro G3 TIR len compare to the first released TIR len?

Mrrealmadrid
02/03/2014, 07:44 AM
Why is the G1 to G3 pro unavailable???

Alex Y EcoTech
02/03/2014, 08:31 AM
Why is the G1 to G3 pro unavailable???

We apologize about the delay, Generation 3 Pro retro fit kits will be available shortly.

mfinn
02/03/2014, 02:35 PM
The gen 1 to gen3 was available first thing this morning.

Mrrealmadrid
02/03/2014, 04:59 PM
Still waiting

rcmike
02/03/2014, 06:26 PM
When you say shortly do you mean hours? Days? Longer?

Just curious so I won't keep checking throughout the day if it's going to be a while.

Mrrealmadrid
02/03/2014, 09:28 PM
when you say shortly do you mean hours? Days? Longer?

Just curious so i won't keep checking throughout the day if it's going to be a while.

+1000

mwladdicted
02/04/2014, 08:53 AM
Sent mine in yesterday! Stoked! Btw the email says 2-3 day turn around time upon recieving it if anyone wanted to know, especially those of you worried about a back up

Mrrealmadrid
02/04/2014, 09:17 AM
Sent mine in yesterday! Stoked! Btw the email says 2-3 day turn around time upon recieving it if anyone wanted to know, especially those of you worried about a back up

Says the g1 to g3 pro is not available on their site? Did you just send it in without the form?

mwladdicted
02/04/2014, 09:49 AM
No I bought it for 0.00, it says add to cart on the site for the g3 just not the pro, I did the g3, maybe the pro sold out

rcmike
02/04/2014, 01:58 PM
No I bought it for 0.00, it says add to cart on the site for the g3 just not the pro, I did the g3, maybe the pro sold out

I don't think it's been available yet.

LinkinReef
02/04/2014, 02:45 PM

Free upgrade! lol

LinkinReef
02/04/2014, 02:48 PM
Says the g1 to g3 pro is not available on their site? Did you just send it in without the form?

Here's what Alex from EcoTech said earlier:

We apologize about the delay, Generation 3 Pro retro fit kits will be available shortly.

LinkinReef
02/05/2014, 03:22 PM
Hopefully this upgrade to the pro gen 3 from the gen 1 will be available pretty soon...

Alex Y EcoTech
02/06/2014, 09:13 AM
All,

I'm happy to announce that Generation 3 Pro retro fit kits will be available today!

Steeler1
02/06/2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks... Just placed my order to upgrade 2 G2 Pros to G3 Pros...

LinkinReef
02/06/2014, 11:22 AM
All,

I'm happy to announce that Generation 3 Pro retro fit kits will be available today!

Sweet! Going from a Gen 1 to a Pro Gen!

bnaef17
02/06/2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks... Just placed my order to upgrade 2 G2 Pros to G3 Pros...

Keep us updated Steeler! Considering the same move. Wondering how the upgrade will compare with the old PRO version.

Neokane
02/06/2014, 12:07 PM
I am curious what all we need to send in? It doesn't specify in the instructions. Obviously shipping cost will be greatly reduced if all we have to send in is the light, not the power supply.

Ajskennels
02/06/2014, 12:12 PM
they still use the same power supply, so id assume just the fixture would be all thats needed

LinkinReef
02/06/2014, 12:28 PM
So basically sending the Gen 1 to be upgraded to the Pro Gen 3, the only difference from a new one is that I will not have the new exterior casing and the buttons. Everything else LED's, output, coverage, etc. all with be exactly the same right?

Just making sure. Also wondering about what we need to send in? Fixture, ballast and power supply?

Ajskennels
02/06/2014, 12:42 PM
no, i believe the gen 1 had a total of 130 watts, the gen 3 pro is 170 watts, also some internal parts will need upgraded, thats the reason gen1 need to be sent in

Neokane
02/06/2014, 12:47 PM
I think they just replace the pucks, and either the fan or the fan shroud. I don't think they would replace anything else.

Alex Y EcoTech
02/06/2014, 02:05 PM
I am curious what all we need to send in? It doesn't specify in the instructions. Obviously shipping cost will be greatly reduced if all we have to send in is the light, not the power supply.

We utilize the same power supply on all generations of the Radion. That being said, you are only required to send in the light itself.

jameshongth
02/06/2014, 08:31 PM
So basically sending the Gen 1 to be upgraded to the Pro Gen 3, the only difference from a new one is that I will not have the new exterior casing and the buttons. Everything else LED's, output, coverage, etc. all with be exactly the same right?

Just making sure. Also wondering about what we need to send in? Fixture, ballast and power supply?

G3 len frame look cool so maybe request to change the len frame as well.

http://store.ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/G3_LensFrame013014-1024x574.jpg

http://store.ecotechmarine.com/store/upgrades

LinkinReef
02/07/2014, 02:50 PM
Just mailed mine in today to be upgraded!

Neokane
02/08/2014, 04:24 PM
my first gen 1 is showing that it will be delivered monday!!! So I should get it back by then end of the week (Hopefully) and then I can send out my second one!

Gen3 Pros here I come!

LinkinReef
02/08/2014, 07:33 PM
my first gen 1 is showing that it will be delivered monday!!! So I should get it back by then end of the week (Hopefully) and then I can send out my second one!

Gen3 Pros here I come!

Same here!

rcmike
02/08/2014, 07:48 PM
Do we get some kind of shipping notification if we order the G2 pro to G3 pro pucks? I ordered mine on Thursday but haven't gotten anything yet.

TheHun
02/10/2014, 03:02 PM
Is the Radion Gen1 to Gen3 Pro kit already sold out?

LinkinReef
02/10/2014, 04:39 PM
Is the Radion Gen1 to Gen3 Pro kit already sold out?

It's still available at the bottom of the page:

TheHun
02/10/2014, 08:32 PM
It's still available at the bottom of the page:

Looks like $0.00 for me, if so than extremely generous from EM...

mfinn
02/10/2014, 08:37 PM
Looks like $0.00 for me, if so than extremely generous from EM...

You actually have to add 1 or more to your cart and go through checkout.
There are instructions.
Since you have to send the gen 1 units in to Ecotech, they will contact you when it's time for a credit card.

TheHun
02/10/2014, 08:41 PM
You actually have to add 1 or more to your cart and go through checkout.
There are instructions.
Since you have to send the gen 1 units in to Ecotech, they will contact you when it's time for a credit card.

Thanks!

Arkayology
02/11/2014, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if ecotech is swamped or what, but they received my gen1 radion on Friday and I am still waiting for them to call me to get my upgraded fixture shipped back. I was hoping to get it sent out today before they closed so I could have it by the weekend.

Alex Y EcoTech
02/11/2014, 03:00 PM
SoCalDude,

I apologize for the delay, your Radion will ship tomorrow Fedex express.

mwladdicted
02/11/2014, 03:05 PM
How are we contacted? Ive been waiting as well. I called the other day and they said mine was next but that was last thursday

LinkinReef
02/11/2014, 03:54 PM
How are we contacted? Ive been waiting as well. I called the other day and they said mine was next but that was last thursday

Last Thursday? Oh geez...I called today and I was told mine was next and would be shipped tomorrow

Neokane
02/11/2014, 04:23 PM
I didn't call. I just assumed they were busy and that they would get it done soon. They did say 2-3 day turn around.

I know they received mine Saturday. I assume they would get it out by end of day Wednesday. So fingers crossed they will call tomorrow!

jeffreylam1132
02/11/2014, 04:30 PM
If anyone got their's back, please post some pic of the light and would love to hear some comment on the differences and if it's worth it. Thanks!

LinkinReef
02/11/2014, 04:32 PM
I didn't call. I just assumed they were busy and that they would get it done soon. They did say 2-3 day turn around.

I know they received mine Saturday. I assume they would get it out by end of day Wednesday. So fingers crossed they will call tomorrow!

I had to call because I forgot to add the wide lenses to my original order :o

Neokane
02/11/2014, 04:50 PM
I had to call because I forgot to add the wide lenses to my original order :o

OOoops.. LOL I have two radions over my 90 and I think the spread is good.. Not sure how your setup is..

LinkinReef
02/11/2014, 04:53 PM
it's a 50g 24x24. Just figured might as well get the wide lenses and if I don't like them I can always go back to the TIR ones

Neokane
02/12/2014, 10:08 AM
Got my call today from Alex, my new and improved radion gen 3 pro will be on the truck today!

LinkinReef
02/12/2014, 01:09 PM
Same here Alex called and my gen3 pro will be on the truck today and delivered tomorrow! Did you get a tracking number emailed? I didn't yet

Neokane
02/12/2014, 01:22 PM
Just got it in my email!

LinkinReef
02/12/2014, 01:31 PM
Just got mine too. Hopefully Fedex will take it's time to deliver it until I get home in the afternoon

mfinn
02/12/2014, 04:10 PM
Got my call today from Alex, my new and improved radion gen 3 pro will be on the truck today!

I'm still waiting for my call.:rollface:

Arkayology
02/12/2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the call Alex. I will have my radion back on Friday!

nly04
02/12/2014, 06:13 PM
I assumed most of the people who send their Radion in for upgrade using overnight to ship to Ecotech. So seem like it will take a week from the day you send your light out to the day you get you light back. Please confirm so I need to plan my temporary light before I took mine down to upgrade.

Neokane
02/12/2014, 07:48 PM
I sent mine fedex ground on a Friday. I will have mine back Friday according to Fedex tracking.

mfinn
02/13/2014, 12:09 PM
I sent my gen 1 in 10 days ago and the tracking info said they received it 3 days ago.
Still waiting to hear anything.

Arkayology
02/13/2014, 12:32 PM
I sent my gen 1 in 10 days ago and the tracking info said they received it 3 days ago.

Can't hurt to call them.

gcantu
02/13/2014, 12:49 PM
I just sent mine in today. Do we get the led pucks back or do they keep them?

mfinn
02/13/2014, 01:05 PM
Can't hurt to call them.

Tried to.

LinkinReef
02/13/2014, 01:10 PM
Just got mine in today. I'm a bit confused as to how to control some LED colors that aren't showing up on the Ecosmart live program. I have UV, Royal Blue(thought it was supposed to be deep blue?), Blue, Cool white, Green and Hyper red. I seem to have missing Indigo and Yellow. Firmware is already up to date since I get a "1 device(s) did not require an update." Am I missing something?

Alex Y EcoTech
02/13/2014, 01:17 PM
Linkinreef,

UV and Indigo share a color channel. Also, the yellow diodes are controlled via the red channel.

Mrrealmadrid
02/13/2014, 01:18 PM
Just spoke to Alex.. great guy

Alex Y EcoTech
02/13/2014, 01:18 PM

Martin,

I am so sorry about the delay, your upgrade has been completed and will ship tomorrow. Your Radion would be shipping today, but our shipping department is closed to the inclement weather.

LinkinReef
02/13/2014, 01:31 PM
Linkinreef,

UV and Indigo share a color channel. Also, the yellow diodes are controlled via the red channel.

Just noticed from trying to re-calibrate them. :D

Thank you so much Alex! Awesome customer support!

mfinn
02/13/2014, 01:35 PM
Martin,

I am so sorry about the delay, your upgrade has been completed and will ship tomorrow. Your Radion would be shipping today, but our shipping department is closed to the inclement weather.

Cool.
Can I get it shipped to be delivered on Saturday?

I was afraid the weather back there was going to mess with shipping and even people just getting to work.

mfinn
02/13/2014, 03:10 PM
Can I get it shipped to be delivered on Saturday?

said this before I saw the noon tv news and just how big that storm is..

With the storm that is going on, it looks like it will be days before shipping gets going again.
IMO, stay home, stay safe.

Arkayology
02/14/2014, 08:43 PM
I got my radion back today safe and sound. Thanks for getting it out to me before the weather hit Alex. I would like to let you know though that when I opened the box I had two of the silver screws that attach the top plate to the radion body loose and rolling around in the fixture. I had to open it up and screw them in myself. It's not a big issue, but I wanted to let you know.

jameshongth
02/14/2014, 11:19 PM
Linkinreef,

Hi Alex,

Is yellow essential :worried:?

I'm looking to upgrade my G1 to a G3 instead of G3 Pro to save some cost if yellow is not crucial :bounce1: !

Please advice.

Neokane
02/15/2014, 08:21 AM
Got my gen3pros last night.
Calibrated and hooked up. Very please. I have read of the other pro's bleaching corals. So I started at 50% with a 6 week acclimation.

I am very impressed. UV channel makes things glow like crazy!
Ready to send of my second light!

Thanks EcoTech!

mfinn
02/15/2014, 09:23 AM
Calibrated and hooked up. Very please. I have read of the other pro's bleaching corals. So I started at 50% with a 6 week acclimation.

Thanks EcoTech!

That's good to hear.
What intensity and model were you running before the upgrade?

Neokane
02/15/2014, 09:35 AM
I had gen 1 (non pro) with TIR lenses. I was running I think around 90% on shallow reef at 3' depth.

LinkinReef
02/15/2014, 05:52 PM

Thanks EcoTech!

The UV definitely makes the colors pop!

I kept my 70% max intensity because I upgraded to the wide angle lenses.

cali9dub
02/15/2014, 11:00 PM
Are the gen 2 pro to gen 3 pro a user install upgrade or do they need to be sent in like the gen 1 to gen 2 pro upgrade ??

Ajskennels
02/16/2014, 07:46 AM
Are the gen 2 pro to gen 3 pro a user install upgrade or do they need to be sent in like the gen 1 to gen 2 pro upgrade ??
user install upgrade

mfinn
02/18/2014, 08:12 AM
Martin,

Still haven't heard from anyone. I would hope it will be today????

OrionN
02/18/2014, 08:29 AM
I really dislike to buttons of Gen 1 and Gen 2. Is there any plan to change to button, maybe not to look like G3, but some other type of button that will be more functional. Capacitor discharge type of button is a great concept on paper, sleek and futuristic but does not work well in the reef environment. IMO, this is a production defect.
I have problem with my light randomly change program. shut down, go into demo mode and others. I call supports. I was told to turn off the button, which seem to solve the problem.
I guess these problem is why EcoTech change the button in G3 lights.

mfinn
02/18/2014, 05:35 PM
Got a tracking number:bounce1:

Neokane
02/18/2014, 09:15 PM
Got a tracking number:bounce1:

Awesome!

I sent off my 2nd light on Saturday. Hope to have it back next Monday!

mfinn
02/19/2014, 10:26 AM
Will the old ( gen 1 ) program still be there after the upgrade?

mfinn
02/19/2014, 12:35 PM
Light is on and everything is working awesome.
Thanks everybody at EcoTech

Alex Y EcoTech
02/19/2014, 02:39 PM
Light is on and everything is working awesome.
Thanks everybody at EcoTech

Martin let me know how you like the new Radion.

mfinn
02/19/2014, 04:25 PM
Martin let me know how you like the new Radion.

I do see a difference in the color and I like it.

jeffreylam1132
02/19/2014, 06:18 PM
When sending in your gen 1 to upgrade, do you still get your old puck back once the new one are replaced?

mfinn
02/19/2014, 07:16 PM
When sending in your gen 1 to upgrade, do you still get your old puck back once the new one are replaced?

I did not get mine back.
Didn't expect it.

gcantu
02/19/2014, 08:40 PM
I just finished upgrading my gen2 to gen3. Do I need to calibrate? Is this a mandatory process or can I just plug and play?

Alex Y EcoTech
02/20/2014, 08:42 AM
I just finished upgrading my gen2 to gen3. Do I need to calibrate? Is this a mandatory process or can I just plug and play?

Calibration is never mandatory, but may be a good idea once you have the light programmed and installed.

jeffreylam1132
02/20/2014, 10:51 PM
Lets see some pics of the new upgrade light in action!

Neokane
02/21/2014, 07:38 AM
Lets see some pics of the new upgrade light in action!

When I get my second light back, I will. I only have the one and it doesn't do my 90gal any justice.

cali9dub
02/21/2014, 08:57 PM
Ordered my Gen2 pro to Gen3 pro upgrade kit. Waiting for it to ship. Anxious to get it installed and fire 'em up !!

Arkayology
02/23/2014, 03:14 PM
Out of curiosity, if you calibrate the radion and then do a factory reset, do you need to calibrate again?

Alex Y EcoTech
02/24/2014, 07:53 AM
Out of curiosity, if you calibrate the radion and then do a factory reset, do you need to calibrate again?

No, the calibration will be saved.

trueblackpercula
02/25/2014, 09:56 PM
I have a G1 less the a year old how do I upgrade to the g3 pro
Thanks

OrionN
02/26/2014, 07:22 AM
I send in 3 G1, delivered to EcoTech on Friday but have not hear anything yet :(. These light are popular and lots of people are upgrading their light. I guess EcoTech is a littel behind.
I hope to hear about my light today. The lights I send in also have Serial number file corrugation and need to be fix.
Although I don't have to have them back right away, I can't wait to try them on my tank and see if I will send the rest of my G1 for upgrade, and get some G2 kits for upgrade.

mfinn
02/26/2014, 08:18 AM
I have a G1 less the a year old how do I upgrade to the g3 pro
Thanks

Go to the EcoTechMarine store.

and at the bottom, add 1 or however many you want to your cart and then follow the directions.
You will need to send the gen 1's in to them for the upgrade
Don't worry about the $00 amount shown, you won't be charged until they have it.
I upgraded to the gen 3 and very glad I did.

gcantu
02/26/2014, 09:53 AM
I sent mine in almost two weeks ago and still have not heard back on anything. They must really be backed up.

Neokane
02/26/2014, 11:24 AM
They must be busy. I got my first one back quick.
My second one they received on last Thursday. No word yet. :/

mfinn
02/26/2014, 12:09 PM
I think the series of snow storms the east coast went through put everybody way behind.

cali9dub
02/26/2014, 06:20 PM
I received my upgrade kits and installed them (converting 2 gen2 pros to gen3 pros). Took about 20 minutes to install the upgraded puc to both units. Overall color has a more pinkish tint to it at the same settings.

jeffreylam1132
02/27/2014, 12:36 AM
When sending in your Gen 1 for the upgrade, is it possible to get your old puck back?

Vlado4x4
02/27/2014, 09:55 AM
I have 3 G1 and was wondering if i upgrade to the g3 if the only change the light kit or also the fan !! The fan in the G1 sucks ... had severall problems !!

mfinn
02/27/2014, 10:24 AM
I have 3 G1 and was wondering if i upgrade to the g3 if the only change the light kit or also the fan !! The fan in the G1 sucks ... had severall problems !!

I believe the fan is part of the upgrade.

Neokane
02/27/2014, 02:45 PM
Alex,

Any input on the status of upgrades? Are you swapped or behind because of the winter storms? etc.

OrionN
02/28/2014, 06:33 AM
I got my tracking number :)

Alex Y EcoTech
02/28/2014, 07:34 AM
Alex,

Any input on the status of upgrades? Are you swapped or behind because of the winter storms? etc.

Retro fit Radions are being processed very quickly. Another large batch will ship today.

OrionN
03/04/2014, 10:37 AM
I am getting my light back today. On FedEx truck to be deliver. :)

mfinn
03/04/2014, 10:45 AM
I am getting my light back today. On FedEx truck to be deliver. :)

Oh, happy day. :)

jeffreylam1132
03/04/2014, 03:45 PM
If you don't have the TIR lense on your gen 1, does it comes with it when you upgrade to gen 3 pro?

skyline377
03/05/2014, 07:16 PM
If you don't have the TIR lense on your gen 1, does it comes with it when you upgrade to gen 3 pro?

Yes it is part of the package!! I just received my unit back today!!!

OrionN
03/05/2014, 09:49 PM
I got my upgrade Tuesday. IMO, G3 Pro light is really nice. I will have to see how my corals, clams and anemones response to it long term. I hope the light will impart a lot of colors to the animals.

skyline377,
Did you have to pay anymore than 275 for the Pro G3 upgrade include the TIR lenses? I paid 275 but already have the TIR lenses.

jeffreylam1132
03/05/2014, 11:10 PM
I got my upgrade Tuesday. IMO, G3 Pro light is really nice. I will have to see how my corals, clams and anemones response to it long term. I hope the light will impart a lot of colors to the animals.

skyline377,
Did you have to pay anymore than 275 for the Pro G3 upgrade include the TIR lenses? I paid 275 but already have the TIR lenses.

Yes, I'm curious myself. Also, can you request to get back your original puck?

Neokane
03/06/2014, 10:44 AM
I had the TIR lenses already and paid 275. I had asked Alex if there was a discount for already having them, but never heard the answer.

mfinn
03/06/2014, 10:48 AM
Come to think of it, I sent my gen 1 in for the upgrade to gen 3 and I already had a new set of wide angle lens that I put in the box with a note asking them to install them instead of the tir lens. I paid the full $175.

skyline377
03/06/2014, 02:37 PM
no i didn't get the orginal puck back..

jameshongth
03/06/2014, 07:46 PM

Hi Alex,

May I know when will Asia market available for G3 upgrade?

Alex Y EcoTech
03/07/2014, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE May I know when will Asia market available for G3 upgrade?[/QUOTE]

International retro fit kits will be available shortly.

jameshongth
03/07/2014, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE May I know when will Asia market available for G3 upgrade?

International retro fit kits will be available shortly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the prompt reply...:bounce3:.

Just can't wait to get my G1 transform to G3 or G3 Pro :dance::dance::dance:!

GusDiaz
03/07/2014, 02:34 PM
I am very happy with my upgrade from 6 G2 pro to G3 pro. Very easy to do.

cali9dub
03/07/2014, 02:54 PM
I am very happy with my upgrade from 6 G2 pro to G3 pro. Very easy to do.

Did you adjust your graph at all?

chercm
03/07/2014, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE May I know when will Asia market available for G3 upgrade?

International retro fit kits will be available shortly.[/QUOTE]

wait till gen 4 of radion then Asia will get it . if you cannot wait , change to a more customer oriented brand instead .

GatorAlum05
03/12/2014, 07:57 PM
all I can say is WOW. Gen3pro is probably the best upgrade I have made as far as colors goes. We'll see how the growth is but DAMN. It's like I'm staring at a tank on High Definition.

rcmike
03/12/2014, 08:01 PM
I didn't have the G2s long enough to really tell how the growth was before I upgraded them but the G3s seem to be growing my SPS very well.

Reef Man Dan
03/13/2014, 10:52 AM
Alex,

Can you comment on fans being replaced as part of the G1 upgrade pathway? If they are, are the part of the G3 and G3 pro upgrade?

Can you also comment on any price break if TIRs have been previously installed? Also, since the TIR is part of the upgrade, will EM also include the 120 deg. TIR for the same cost?

Thanks

Alex Y EcoTech
03/13/2014, 02:06 PM
Reef,

When having your Radion retro fit, we will be replacing the fan and most internal components for no additional fee. That said, we will re-use your TIR lenses, but not offer any type of credit towards the Wide Angle Lenses.

Reef Man Dan
03/15/2014, 07:50 AM
Linkinreef,

So on the G1 upgrade pathway, is there a channel added for UV/indigo, or are they added as part of an existing channel?

Thanks

Alex Y EcoTech
03/17/2014, 07:00 AM
Reef,

Uv/Indigo become their own color channel for a total of 6 unique and controllable color channels. If you upgrade to a Generation 3 Radion Pro, youl will have the addition of the yellow spectrum but it will be tied and controlled via the red channel.

cali9dub
03/17/2014, 07:55 AM
Reef,

Uv/Indigo become their own color channel for a total of 6 unique and controllable color channels. If you upgrade to a Generation 3 Radion Pro, youl will have the addition of the yellow spectrum but it will be tied and controlled via the red channel.

Is it me or does the iphone app not have a UV/Indigo channel.

GusDiaz
03/17/2014, 08:10 AM
Did you adjust your graph at all?

I did not. I utilized the same schedule that I had the G2 pros.

wesleyforbes2
03/17/2014, 05:18 PM
I sent an email to EM asking if there was still stock on the Gen3 Pro upgrade puck. I will be looking at upgrading my Gen2 to Gen3 Pros! I am interested in what others that have done the same upgrade think?

wesleyforbes2
04/02/2014, 08:34 PM
I now have the Gen3 Pro's running on my 90 gallon! I have changed the spectrum to the Radiant template at 50%, can you grow corals on that setting?

jameshongth
04/03/2014, 01:10 AM
International retro fit kits will be available shortly.

wait till gen 4 of radion then Asia will get it . if you cannot wait , change to a more customer oriented brand instead .

Why so sour and pessimistic :debi:? Look at the bright side, if there is any bugs or hiccups surfaced during the upgrading will be resolve by then reaches Asia market :bounce1:.

trueblackpercula
04/03/2014, 04:49 AM
Why so sour and pessimistic :debi:? Look at the bright side, if there is any bugs or hiccups surfaced during the upgrading will be resolve by then reaches Asia market :bounce1:.

Dude your avitar is insane what zoo is that gotta get some.

fredro
10/27/2014, 12:32 AM
Simple and cost effective upgrade. EM is great all around

PSU4ME
11/10/2014, 02:58 PM
I know this is an older thread but I upgraded from the gen 1 to the gen 2 at a decent cost already.....now the upgrade to the G3PRO will be another $500 for the two lights. Is there any offset for a "multiple upgrade customer"?

Also, out of stock at the online store, when will they be in?

trueblackpercula
11/10/2014, 03:52 PM
I know this is an older thread but I upgraded from the gen 1 to the gen 2 at a decent cost already.....now the upgrade to the G3PRO will be another $500 for the two lights. Is there any offset for a "multiple upgrade customer"?

Also, out of stock at the online store, when will they be in?

I would sell the ones you have and use that money with the upgrade money and get new lights.

mpsti05
11/10/2014, 08:13 PM
I've been checking for awhile now to upgrade my gen 2 pucks to gen3pro and they haven't been in stock in a long time

Alex Y EcoTech
11/11/2014, 08:47 AM
I've been checking for awhile now to upgrade my gen 2 pucks to gen3pro and they haven't been in stock in a long time

The retro fit kits should be available very shortly. We now have G3 base upgrade kits, and the G3 Pro will be just a few more days.

mpsti05
11/11/2014, 01:12 PM
The retro fit kits should be available very shortly. We now have G3 base upgrade kits, and the G3 Pro will be just a few more days.

Since mine is a gen2 all I have to do is swap the cluster?

BrettH
12/04/2014, 05:24 AM
HI Alex...

I have Gen 1's that I would like to upgrade to gen 3 pro. What is the cost now and what is the process? I read something on Ecotech's website that you were sending out upgraded units and the I send you my old ones? But reading through this post it seems that I might have to send you my units to be retrofitted? Also, do I need to show you proof of purchase from Premium Aquatics?

Thanks,
Brett

Alex Y EcoTech
12/04/2014, 06:48 AM
Brett,

That is correct, you will need to send the light in to be retrofitted. In addition, the cost is $275 per light for a Generation 3 Pro upgrade. Please see the following link for more information: http://store.ecotechmarine.com/store/upgrades

BrettH
12/04/2014, 05:50 PM
Alex...how do I confirm I have Gen 1. I bought my lights April'ish 2012. Maybe even as late as June 2012?

thx

BrettH
12/04/2014, 06:03 PM
Alex...how do I confirm I have Gen 1. I bought my lights April'ish 2012. Maybe even as late as June 2012?

thx

Never mind, they are indeed Gen 1s.

mrphil
03/03/2015, 06:22 PM
Is there something for international customers? DIY kit?

I have a gen 1 and would like to upgrade to gen 3 pro but being in New Zealand we don't get any support here

ccthao
03/03/2015, 11:35 PM
Hello, i'm thinking about upgrading my Gen 1 to Gen 3. Do i have to ship you the powersupply too or just the light ?

Alex Y EcoTech
03/04/2015, 07:21 AM
Is there something for international customers? DIY kit?

I have a gen 1 and would like to upgrade to gen 3 pro but being in New Zealand we don't get any support here

Phil,

Please contact your local ETM dealer for more information on purchasing upgrades.

Alex Y EcoTech
03/04/2015, 07:22 AM
Hello, i'm thinking about upgrading my Gen 1 to Gen 3. Do i have to ship you the powersupply too or just the light ?

ccthao,

The power supply remains the same for all generations of Radion and is not included in the upgrade.

ccthao
03/04/2015, 09:22 AM
Yes I understand its the same power supply. My question was concerning sending the light in for upgrades, only the light itself is sent back. Right? The reason i ask is because the power supply weighs a ton. Does the cost of G3 upgrades include the new fan? I can't find anywhere on the site to order the upgraded fan

mrphil
03/04/2015, 12:55 PM
Phil,

Please contact your local ETM dealer for more information on purchasing upgrades.

We don't have a local dealer

nashorn
03/10/2015, 02:45 PM
I notice the upgrade from gen1 to gen3pro is unavailable ? Will it be again? Not sure I'm going to do soon but don't want to miss the boat either or did I miss it already?

Alex Y EcoTech
03/11/2015, 06:22 AM
I notice the upgrade from gen1 to gen3pro is unavailable ? Will it be again? Not sure I'm going to do soon but don't want to miss the boat either or did I miss it already?

The G3 Pro upgrade will be available again shortly. We are currently backordered on G3 Pro clusters.

Reduck
03/12/2015, 11:46 AM
following along..waiting for the pro updates..

Reduck
03/17/2015, 06:00 PM
Any eta on the 3 pro kits?

Reduck
03/24/2015, 08:23 AM
Any eta on the 3 pro kits?

Reef55
03/26/2015, 08:07 AM
What does "available again shortly" mean? Its already been two weeks... does it mean 2 months? 2 years?

Reduck
04/10/2015, 04:26 PM
It's almost a month. I have a feelng we will see a G4 before we see G3 pro upgrades again!

nashorn
04/15/2015, 12:16 AM
When they get the pucks we will all upgrade and the G4 will be out.....lol
Still the best LED light out there!

zachogden
04/21/2015, 10:03 AM
any update on the G3pro upgrade clusters? looking to upgrade my G2s but debating if i should just wait for the G4 to be announced eventually!

Reduck
04/23/2015, 06:53 AM
Hello? Any idea when these will be available???

rocsec1
04/24/2015, 01:21 PM
Ditto on the fan question. Is a new fan included in the upgrade

Reduck
05/01/2015, 04:08 PM
I've given up waiting and bought a new G3 pro...nice. Now to sell my g1 off in the classifieds..

zachogden
05/04/2015, 03:21 PM
any update on availability for g3 pro update kits?

bobssecrtsn
05/04/2015, 05:56 PM
waiting patiently...

Alex Y EcoTech
05/06/2015, 06:17 AM
Just to update everyone, Generation 3 Pro upgrade kits will be available by the end of this week.

bobssecrtsn
05/06/2015, 07:39 PM
its on your website already? i just placed my order.

johnmiller81
05/07/2015, 07:31 PM
If I have a Gen 3 what is the upgrade option to a Gen 3 Pro?

jackblow33
05/08/2015, 07:15 PM
If I have a Gen 3 what is the upgrade option to a Gen 3 Pro?Sell your G3 pucks and buy the G2 to G3 Pro upgrade.

nashorn
05/27/2015, 10:10 PM
Just to update everyone, Generation 3 Pro upgrade kits will be available by the end of this week.

Guess I forgot and missed it.
When will it be available again?