PDA

View Full Version : Stocking list for 300L FOWL

natan
01/12/2014, 12:03 PM
After a lot of thinking I realized that no macros will be safe with angels, so none will be added. Instead I decided to research predators. Here is what I consider:
Monodactylus kottelati X7 (subadults, currently in quarantine, ~10-12cm long)
Pterocasio sp. X3 or 5 (if I can find anything under 30cm max adult size and get juveniles which realistically speaking will never reach wild adult size and are unlikely to grow much beyond 20cm in that tank)
Miniatus grouper juvenile (~4")
May be a lionfish, not sure about what species yet but I like volitans, will definitely get a juvenile.
The main questions are: is my tank big enough for the grouper and will the groper ever become too large and threaten the monos? Also they are listed as aggressive on liveaquaria, but are they rely likely to harass things or just eat what/whomever they can and leave the rest well alone?
And last but not the least, what maximum size the miniatus is likely to reach in that tank? My guess is around 25cm, but experienced grouper keepers are welcome to comment.
Thank U 4 the input.

Jeff000
01/12/2014, 01:27 PM
300 Liter tank? that's not even 90 gallons. I'd say none of the above.
The grouper will get WAY to large for your tank, and fast. It will eat anything that will fit in it's mouth.

And I am pretty sure a couple of the fish you listed are brackish water, not salt water, ie Monodactylus kottelati.
Although the scientific names you listed don't really bring up anything useful in Google.

danimallaminad
01/12/2014, 02:55 PM
I think its a 300 long tank

Jeff000
01/12/2014, 03:52 PM
I think its a 300 long tank

His measurements are metric, which makes me think liters and not gallons. But a 300 gallon long is what dimensions?

danimallaminad
01/12/2014, 05:08 PM
i didnt even think about him using metric. I'm not sure what 300 gallon long dims are but It should be a decent sized tank maybe like 10ftx2ftx2ft.

natan
01/13/2014, 12:14 AM
U R correct about metrics, its an 85g tank. If it was 300g, there would be no need to ask if its big enough, as it would obviously be more than enough.
Monos are brackish/marine fish and this particular one is actually the most saltwater of them all usually found in the sea.
Appropriate comments rather than flaming is welcome.

DgenR8
01/13/2014, 05:22 AM
Appropriate comments rather than flaming is welcome.

That is, of course always the case here. I'm not sure I see what you're seeing, though. Many times, things get lost in written communication as there is a lack of expression, voice changes, etc.
Also, there are certain subjects that will always bring out the more emotional side of people, over stuffing a tank with animals inappropriate for it's size is one of them. You asked a question and were given the answer. Not liking the answer doesn't mean the answer was inflammatory.
I will add that the lion fish should do well in a tank that size, providing you choose compatible tank mates (lions have no predators, but will eat anything they can get in their mouth).

C.Sharkdude
01/13/2014, 04:06 PM
300 Liter tank? that's not even 90 gallons. I'd say none of the above.
The grouper will get WAY to large for your tank, and fast. It will eat anything that will fit in it's mouth.

And I am pretty sure a couple of the fish you listed are brackish water, not salt water, ie Monodactylus kottelati.
Although the scientific names you listed don't really bring up anything useful in Google.
All of the Mono species are brackish but can survive in full marine tanks. I used to keep M.argentus. The only problem is, they are very aggressive fish. the smaller the tank is the meaner they get. Keep in mind they also reach 8-10''.

The Antennata lion, Dwarf zebra, Radiata and Fu manchu lions are okay in that size IMO.