PDA

View Full Version : Sea Star and Green Star Polyps

mastersonr
01/12/2014, 12:25 PM
I've added a rock with nice mat of GSP a few weeks back. I have it isolated on the sand bed and it has been doing well so far. My sea star climbed on top of the rock last night and is just hanging out there. Is this a concern for either the sea star or GSP? Should I move him now or just let him move along on his own?

Also, do sea starts typically leave corals alone or is this something I will need to monitor?

Whiterabbitrage
01/12/2014, 12:27 PM
I would say not to worry and to leave it alone. Just for curiosity sake what kind of sea star are talking about?

mastersonr
01/12/2014, 12:47 PM
it's an orange sea star.

Khemul
01/12/2014, 01:15 PM
Do you know what type, or have a picture?

There are some that could be a concern in that situation. Others that would not be at all. All depends on exactly what type of sea star it is.

mastersonr
01/12/2014, 01:27 PM
Do you know what type, or have a picture?

There are some that could be a concern in that situation. Others that would not be at all. All depends on exactly what type of sea star it is.

It is an orange sea star exactly like this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+581&pcatid=581

Khemul
01/12/2014, 02:41 PM
That one should be fine then.

mastersonr
01/12/2014, 05:21 PM
ok thanks. I was gone for a few hours today and just got back. The sea star is still on the rock and the GSP is completely retracted. I guess it can sense the sea star and will stay retracted until it is gone? Is this normal behavior for the GSP?

AndysReef
01/12/2014, 07:24 PM
Yes. And also I'm interested is that star a fairly easy keeper? How long have you had him?

mastersonr
01/12/2014, 08:14 PM
I've only had him a little over 2 weeks so I can't really comment on long term results with them. He spent the first week mostly on the glass but has started moving around my live rock now too.

johndcb
01/12/2014, 09:57 PM
I've had an orange star for about 4 weeks. He's all over my 200g DT. I have hammers, star polyps and flower pots. He seems to bounce on and then off of them without no apparent impact. He also spends a good deal of time near the surface accumulating microbubbles. The next morning he's on the other side of the tank.

We joke about tatooing a set of overalls on him because he's usually in a humanlike position... passed out guy, seated guy, crouched over guy, etc.