PDA

View Full Version : 2 display tanks on one sump system?

apexkeeper
01/12/2014, 02:31 PM
Not entirely sure if this is the right forum for this if not I apologize. Anyway I've decided I really want a peacock mantis shrimp but obviously have it in a tank by itself.

I currently a 65 gallon display and 30 gallon sump now. I'm thinking of another 30 gallon for the mantis tank which would be directly under the 65. My question is, can I simply plumb the new 30 gallon tank into my current sump system or should I completely isolate it and make a whole new separate system?

FlyPenFly
01/27/2014, 02:17 PM
You can and I've set one up. Only tricky bit is having enough drain holders and using a manifold on the return pump. You also need to be able to handle all the excess when the pump shuts down.

96slowbra
01/27/2014, 02:31 PM
you could also have 2 return pumps, one for each tank. i have 3 tanks (display, frag, fuge)on 1 sump, it makes it easy to maintain only 1 system. the other thing is any problems you have can effect both tanks...

FlyPenFly
01/27/2014, 02:55 PM
Yes, disease and pests will be on both tanks if one tanks get it. Some people put strong UV on the return of one tank to try to help but it's probably not that useful.

I use 2 tanks. One is LPS and one is SPS. I prefer a shallow lower flow tank for my open brains, makes it much easier to feed them with no cleaner shrimps or other stealers.