PDA

View Full Version : AquaCon??

Ratbrow
01/12/2014, 05:18 PM
My tank is a 50 gallon (just finished cycle). Since I will not be hosting many fish at all in it, I would like the few I have to be exquisite. The first two fish I would like to get are either going to be of the Snowlake or Picasso Clown family.

Here is my dilemma...I don't know where to get them from? From what I understand LiveAquaria has an outstanding reputation (especially Divers Den) so that would be my first choice, but from what I can tell, stock on these fish is limited and you have to get lucky to get them.

I have not heard many good things about AquaCon, but they seem to have a wide variety in stock (maybe that should tell me something). I'm not sure I trust my LFS...they quarantine for 3 weeks, but still, I'm just not sure.

I do plan on QT these fish for a minimum of a month to start. So, that being said, if this was your tank and your first fish purchase based on the criteria above, where would you get them from?

Thank you for your time!

James77
01/12/2014, 05:20 PM
The number one people on the do not trust list should be AquaCon. A quick search brough up saltwaterfish.com for the Picasso. They also have their issues(read the terms carefully for live guarantee), but they are far better than AquaCon.

fermentedhiker
01/12/2014, 05:35 PM
Cultivated reef also lists Picasso, but I've never done business with them so I can't say anything good/bad about them.

shifty51008
01/12/2014, 05:45 PM
the Con part of their name is a give away, what they post for sale and what you receive are not the same.

Hodge1995
01/12/2014, 05:51 PM
Live aquaria is the best and to be honest I see all the different clowns on there pretty often. Just check the website out frequently. They have a pair on there now.

Mark Bianco
01/12/2014, 05:54 PM
You can put your name on an email list to be notified when LA has stock on any particular fish. Probably the best customer service in the coral and fish game I have bought many fish from them over the years and only one causality. They were quick to take care of it... I have purchased from Saltwaterfish and had problems twice. Never dealt with Aquacon, but have read many bad reviews. As stated above return or DOA policy is something you have to read carefully no mater what online supplier you deal with.

Mark

Ratbrow
01/12/2014, 06:16 PM
the Con part of their name is a give away, what they post for sale and what you receive are not the same.

I'm hearing you. I think they are set-up to scam the newbies in this hobby. If I'm being honest, I love their website. Nice colorful photos, a ton of information (although it's probably not as accurate as it should be), and easy to get around.

So they basically "lure" you in based on the website, and then you pay a ton of dough for something that you didn't order...and than it dies. I've been in this hobby 5 weeks and that is what I have learned about them. One thing is for sure, they will never see a dime from me.

My LFS has very nice snowflakes, and there tanks look beautiful...but I'm just not sure. When my fish are in my Qt, I've decided to go with the "observation" method and not treat unless I see something. I just have a funny feeling about the LFS. They are very reputable...and one of the few that is left standing in my parts. I just don't know...

phillrodrigo
01/12/2014, 07:47 PM
Ive been hearing good things about cultivated reefs. From what ive heard there overnight shipoing is 19.99. If you go to the ctars club page on the first or second page is a review

KafudaFish
01/12/2014, 07:49 PM
The reason why their photos are so great is they take them from other people and don't acknowledge the rightful owner.

cunry
02/23/2014, 02:18 PM
after taking a break from the hobby I recently got back in with a 20 gallon tank. I have always bought from liveaquaria and saltwaterfish and have had nothing but great service with both of these companies. im glad I looked into aqua con before I made the decision to buy from them. they have some great pictures though, ill give them that much.

johnike
02/25/2014, 05:44 AM
This guy is in the Chicago area, and has some beauties.
http://www.booyahsclowns.com/

terrypercula
02/25/2014, 06:32 AM
Well I don't know your LFS personally but my LFS would be the first place I go. Why worry about shipping when it's right there. Live aquaria nor aquacon I have experience with but just by stories from others definitely not aquacon.