PDA

View Full Version : Torch and Hammer corals ---questions

machodik
01/12/2014, 06:10 PM
Dear All,

In my Tank, I just starting to working towards corals.

I have 2 corals (I should say , experimental corals to check my water quality), my Torch and Hammer have starting to detached from the stony based and fall off , I dont know why but it take too fast that withing few days all of them have detached from the stony base and is all over the tank, some still green and moving. I wonder if this is due to the so called "Brown Jelly diseases" or because of my poor water parameters. I have found out that my calcium is just 320 ppm while KH is between 8 dkh to 9 dkh. No3 saty undetected and
po4 is 0.06 ppm to 0.08 ppm. ph 8.2. salinity did not check but I am sure between 1.023 to 1.026 range.

so, if this is due to bronw jelly diseases or any kind of diseases, will this be carry on to the next period I put new corals to my tank? right now, I discard the said 2 dead corals or dying corals and only fish was left and no corals at all.

I am thinking to wait till a month or so before putting new corals in .is this ok?

cheers,

machodik
01/12/2014, 08:21 PM
Any comments and advises ?

maroonman
01/13/2014, 04:45 PM
If you are having Polyp Bail out. ( heads popping off ) then I would check your alk. again . I have noticed in the past when mine did this it was because the alk. was not stable enough.

machodik
01/13/2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks Maroonman,

My alk at that time is between 8 to 9 dkh , I add 15 gms baking soda every other day .

How about calcium of 320 ppm , will this be the culprit?

chrisfont23
01/13/2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks Maroonman,

My alk at that time is between 8 to 9 dkh , I add 15 gms baking soda every other day .

How about calcium of 320 ppm , will this be the culprit?

That's low. Not catastrophic low, but if you didn't acclimate it could be more catastrophic than I think. I would recommend definitely bring it up slowly.

maroonman
01/13/2014, 07:02 PM
+1 .. bring it up slowly,, If you try to do this too fast it will cause a swing in PH & Alk.

machodik
01/13/2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks , I learn from my mistakes , now trying to stabilizes my calcium / Alkalinity by using the calcium reactor but , no corals in my tank right now , only coralline algae and some fish , will this be causing calcium or alkalinity that is not using up (due to no corals) will end up extremly high by then?

tanked_life
01/15/2014, 08:16 AM
If I were you I would look to bump up my calcium. It is low even without the corals but if you start adding more lps or sps you will be in bad shape in the future seeing how they are all sponges to the stuff. Also check you mag levels that could also be the problem causing polyp bailout