PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia + Hyposalinity/Hypersalinity dip

twistedfinn967
01/12/2014, 08:08 PM
So, I am starting to see these little bastards popping up in my tank. Not an infestation, not yet anyhow. I think that I would like to go the hypo/hyper salinity route.

I particularly like the rock in question. The shape and character make it a definite keeper and the aip's are very very small at this point, they do look like they could easily be a small army though. My question is how long to leave said rock in the hypo or hyper solution? Or would I be better off to just use straight RO/DI water.

Killing it with fire would be a last resort as I would like to preserve the good bacteria within the rock.

Thanks!

( I plan to do this in a 5 gal. bucket, not my tank!)

syrinx
01/12/2014, 10:11 PM
hypo will do little. I did an experiment once and they lived at 1.006! Below that they started to shrink away, but everything else had started dying off the rock at 1.008. Straight fresh water, or just letting the rock dry in the sun would get rid of them, but kill the bacteria. So really using a small butane torch may save more bacteria! If you do use the fresh water- I would keep it in there for several days- they can hold water in their body and survive longer in it than you would think.

twistedfinn967
01/13/2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the torch may be the way to go. Did you ever try the hyper-salinity method? I guess that is done at 1.030 but can't find much on it.

Chevrefils
01/13/2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the torch may be the way to go. Did you ever try the hyper-salinity method? I guess that is done at 1.030 but can't find much on it.

I had some extra live rock in another tank. From evap the salinity climbed to 1.030 and higher. A tiny aip was living the life with no effect. I took all the rock out cleaned the tank and turned it into a riparium yesterday for my gf betta.

Craigdillman
01/13/2014, 10:22 AM
i left a rock on my deck for a day put in back in the sump 3 of the 6 aptiasia made it...

robotman
01/14/2014, 12:44 AM
So, I am starting to see these little bastards popping up in my tank. Not an infestation, not yet anyhow. I think that I would like to go the hypo/hyper salinity route.

I particularly like the rock in question. The shape and character make it a definite keeper and the aip's are very very small at this point, they do look like they could easily be a small army though. My question is how long to leave said rock in the hypo or hyper solution? Or would I be better off to just use straight RO/DI water.

Killing it with fire would be a last resort as I would like to preserve the good bacteria within the rock.

Thanks!

( I plan to do this in a 5 gal. bucket, not my tank!)

kalk paste, lemmon juice injection, peppermint shrimp, nudibranches

your best options

rogersb
01/14/2014, 07:31 AM
I got some from a fellow reefer a few months ago on a coral and I just used a knife or screw driver and broke off piece of the rock that they were attached to. If I was unable to do that I would have used putty and super glue to go right over them in their holes.