PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Frags Covered In Algae

krzyphsygy
01/12/2014, 08:16 PM
I have two zoa frags I got at Macna last year. Some algae hitchhiked in on them and now just the frags are covered. I have tried pulling the algae off, dipping in 1/2 part Hydrogen Peroxide peroxide, 100% Peroxide. Nothing will kill this algae permanently. I was gonna cut the polyps off the frag plug but I cant cut them without taking the algae with them because I cant snip the body of it with out it dying.
Not really sure what to do. I believe the algae is bryopsis and it spreads quickly. They were epoxied on my live rock but the algae was spreading on to my rocks so I removed them.

Any ideas how to do this.

krzyphsygy
01/12/2014, 09:44 PM
So I have been doing some research on this and it appears to be a common problem. I have tried all the ways described in the research so I have decided to try something different.
I started with a 50/50 mix of peroxide and salt water for 6 minutes, then back to a small saltwater bowl for a few minutes then back to the 50/50 mix for another 6 minutes. I then rinsed them both in r/o water fully then placed them both in my sump for total darkness for 3 full days. I will then repeat on the 4th day and back to the sump for 3 more days of darkness, then repeat every thing again except one day of darkness then back to the tank.

I have done peroxide dips before on these frags and it works about 75%, with traces of the algae remaining. I hope the added darkness with multiple dips and r/o dips will do the trick.

brandoniscool
01/12/2014, 09:49 PM
How is this treatment affecting the Zoas? I'm having the same problem but am keeping the frags on a frag stand and periodically trimming the algae, when the zoas grow out a little more my plan is to cut them off and (hopefully) separate them from the algae

krzyphsygy
01/12/2014, 10:00 PM
The treatment with the peroxide will close up the zoas, but will open slowly over the course of a few days. The r/o rinse just closes them up as well. The darkness part should be fine as I have done this before in QT.