PDA

View Full Version : Temporary housing for switch over

mr9iron
01/12/2014, 08:40 PM
Allright, I am in the process of builiding my 60 cube and breaking down my 110 reef. I will need to house my corals, fish, and inverts temporarily while I cycle the new tank. I am thinking that I may use a 20 gallon tank, aquaclear filter, pvc pipe, heater and hanging my new led light over it for the corals, as I wont need it until the cube is up and going. I am thinking that I will use water from my DT to seed the tank and the aquaclear filter. Any suggestions?

Duvallj
01/12/2014, 11:03 PM
Using some water and liverock a cycle in the 20 would be minimal at worst. How much stock do you have? I'd just be concerned packing too much and stressing your fish and verts. If you don't have too much shouldn't be a problem.

Also have the corals been under those leds yet? If so try to keep the height/intensity the same. If its new to them just remember its another change/introduction of stress. You may see this while they are in the 20 gal.

dangros
01/12/2014, 11:24 PM
I have a couple of comments. I moved a 90g from Richmond, VA to NY so I have some relative experience with this. First, temperature and water quality was my first concern. Make sure there aren't any drastic changes. That will shock the fish - esp sudden temp changes. The stress is brutal. Also, make sure to watch out for the sediment. Once you start moving stuff into the new tank, all sorts of stuff will kick up and the cloudy water makes it extremely difficult to see where you're putting all the critters.