PDA

View Full Version : ID this Worm Foe or Friend

Reeferz412
01/12/2014, 11:11 PM
Lifting some frag tiles and found multiple of these guys. Lmk if its good or bad and what are the steps to take to get em out if they are bad. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/neva4ene.jpg

dppitone
01/12/2014, 11:19 PM
It depends on what's going on with your system and who you talk to. If you're uncertain you can put it in the fuge.

Reeferz412
01/12/2014, 11:20 PM
well from what I have read in the past, most fireworms are relatively harmless and can be beneficial. I hear they have cactus like spines on them. But im not sure if this is a fireworm

Reeferz412
01/12/2014, 11:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/vu8u6eja.jpg
Here's another one on my hob scrubber. Don't mind the cyano. It's been a while since i cleaned the screen.

Reeferz412
01/12/2014, 11:41 PM
i moved it to the fuge compartment of my aquaclear. im sure theres probably more in there if there is one parked on my scrubber

terrypercula
01/13/2014, 08:14 AM
I'm a believer that bristleworms/fireworms are great scavengers. The thing with fireworms is to keep your hand clear. A sting or bite is very painful from what I've heard, thankfully no first hand experience.

Reeferz412
01/13/2014, 11:23 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/vu8u6eja.jpg
Here's another one on my hob scrubber. Don't mind the cyano. It's been a while since i cleaned the screen.

Heres another pic, sorry tapatalk has probs posting pics.

Reeferz412
01/13/2014, 11:24 AM
I'm a believer that bristleworms/fireworms are great scavengers. The thing with fireworms is to keep your hand clear. A sting or bite is very painful from what I've heard, thankfully no first hand experience.

Yeah, I realize I need to be more careful now when messing with my rocks. I inspected the rockwork last night closely and found about four more.

billdogg
01/13/2014, 11:28 AM
It is a totally harmless and quite beneficial bristle worm. If you have found 4 or 5, then there are at least 10 times that amount. Leave them be. They help to keep the tank, especially the sand bed, clean and healthy.

Reeferz412
01/13/2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks billdogg that is what I wanted to hear. the one on the fuge is huge! I snapped a photo of it retracted.

slowjazz
01/13/2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks billdogg that is what I wanted to hear. the one on the fuge is huge! I snapped a photo of it retracted.

If you want to do the mother nature solution, buy a Arrow Crab. They look like spiders and love worms. In general you will see them come out at night and eat any junk they find. They seem to grown and multiply pretty quick. Only pain is their bristles. It is like a bea sting. (they also break off, so you can still get a bristle by grabing a rock or something that it has been on.)

Most people do not care too much about them until there are alot of them :)

antjtc
01/13/2014, 01:00 PM
If you want to do the mother nature solution, buy a Arrow Crab. They look like spiders and love worms. In general you will see them come out at night and eat any junk they find. They seem to grown and multiply pretty quick. Only pain is their bristles. It is like a bea sting. (they also break off, so you can still get a bristle by grabing a rock or something that it has been on.)

Does anyone know if mandarin go bird eat these things?

Nick S
01/13/2014, 01:02 PM
I try to limit their existence to my fuge. Is your hob scrubber a DIY project or purchased? Do you have a thread about it? I'm very interested! Thanks!

MARINECRITTERS
01/13/2014, 09:36 PM
Bristle worm, harmless.

JB63
01/13/2014, 09:53 PM
While they're 'known' to be harmless, I saw a large one steal a piece of food from a large mushroom sometime back, at an LFS in Chicago. Many find them creepy/ugly. Yet some love them. I for one, can't stand them, and many on here do not as well. It's a personal preference I guess.

Reeferz412
01/13/2014, 11:17 PM
I try to limit their existence to my fuge. Is your hob scrubber a DIY project or purchased? Do you have a thread about it? I'm very interested! Thanks!

It is a DIY project inspired from another fellow reefer. I just retrofit it to my existing filter. It works fanstastic on Aquaclear models. I cannot link the thread buy look up HOB ATS and you should find my thread when I first started it.

Reeferz412
01/13/2014, 11:17 PM

Interesting, I have heard of them before, if they get out of hand I may purchase one. Thank you for the advice!

robotman
01/14/2014, 12:16 AM
I just got stuck in the hand with a bunch of bristles from moving rocks, they don't hurt, I just use some hot water and a towel to remove them, and some rubbing alcohol, I have a bunch and some huge ones, but my sand is pretty clean