PDA

View Full Version : what is this stuff?

lrs183
01/13/2014, 05:05 AM
Hello everyone,

I don't know if maybe I am just now noticing this or if it has been there since the start. From a glance it appears to be black, especially in comparison to mild greens around it. However, upon scraping it with my nail a good amount it didn't really do anything. I felt like I was just grinding my nail on the rock. No slime or major clumps came off. Just dusty stuff from the rock and a tiny bit of the graininess from it. It looked like maybe a crazy dark green.

I have done the blackout treatment on the tank for the last 2 days. All water parameters were fine prior to starting it. 0/0/0-5. (A/NI/NA). But really nothing seems to have happened. Hasn't gotten bigger, hasn't gotten smaller. There are a few other spots of it throughout the tank. But none of it seems like its doing anything. Maybe dust from carbon bag? I did rinse it a few weeks ago before putting it in but who knows?

Tank is in FOWLR mode right now with a small CUC. I plan to add my first softy coral in a week but I'd like to know if I have an issue or not before moving forward.

I feel bad for asking so many questions on this forum. I can only hope that perhaps someone has obtained an answer to their problem via my post. Thank you for the help!

lrs183
01/13/2014, 01:29 PM
Bump

lrs183
01/13/2014, 07:48 PM
Last bump. Thankful for any help :)

Tzwizzle
01/13/2014, 10:04 PM
Its hard to see what exactly you are talking about. Circle the suspect in your pic with mspaint. There were a lot of strange critters that came and went when I set up my first tank which was part of the fun. I say if you are cycled go ahead and add your softie.

brandoniscool
01/13/2014, 10:05 PM
I've seen that on my rocks as well. Almost like black coralline algae. Seems harmless and isn't really spreading much. This said I would like to know what it is as well.

lrs183
01/13/2014, 10:27 PM
I would circle it but I'm at work now :/ you see the black Hole in the rock? Its the black stuff on the rock right next to it/around it. I agree it looks like corraline and doesn't seem to be doing anything. I scraped it with nothing coming off except a tiny but of standard rock dust on my nail tip. 2.5 days of dark other than about 2 hours a day to feed the goby etc. No changes.