PDA

View Full Version : To Hermit or Not to Hermit?! Acan issues...

higorc
01/13/2014, 08:41 AM
My Acans haven't been opening as much as it usually does, and I have a very good idea who's to blame... HERMITS!!! That's right, Hermit Crabs. I've cut feeding to my tank the past couple weeks, and I think Hermit Crabs are having to scavenge a little harder to find food. I see them crawling all over my Acans and picking around them. They don't seem to be hurting them, just keeping them from "puffing" up.

I could be wrong though. Anyone have issues with their Acans not opening up all the way? Maybe someone else out there has another theory to this issue I can look into a little closer.

My water Parameters are in check, and coincidence or not this started a couple weeks ago when I cut feeding to the tank. No other major change in the tank, everything else is the same as it has been for a while. The Acans still put out their feeding tentacle every time I feed the tank (and all night), but they haven't been getting "puffy" anymore. It seems like when they start opening up, I see Hermits moving around them and they close up again.

I guess my question is;

-Who doesn't use Hermits as part of their CUC? Any ill effect?

-Would I need to substitute the Hermits with something else if I do take them out?

I will put up some pics of what I mean when I get home later.

Thanks All

PS: I forgot to mention, I have been running my salinity a little higher then usual (1.029) for sometime now. Also increased flow through out the tank. Currently fighting some Bryopsis/Derbesia Algae in my tank. I didn't give these two things much thought as the reasons for the Acans no fully opening anymore since they were implemented before the issue started. But what do I know... :p

Spyderturbo007
01/13/2014, 08:46 AM
My hermits have never bothered anything other than when they decide to walk all over the coral.

I've never heard of an increase in salinity fighting Bryopsis, but when I jacked up my Magnesium to fight Bryopsis, my corals weren't very happy with me.

higorc
01/13/2014, 09:04 AM
My hermits have never bothered anything other than when they decide to walk all over the coral.

I've never heard of an increase in salinity fighting Bryopsis, but when I jacked up my Magnesium to fight Bryopsis, my corals weren't very happy with me.

My Mag has been around 2000 for over 2 months and the Acans didn't even flinch. Salinity is a new aproach I am trying. It seems there are a few success stories with it...

Spyderturbo007
01/13/2014, 10:31 AM
It seems to be hit or miss with the Magnesium based on the specific type of Bryopsis. What are you using to increase your Magnesium? There is speculation that it isn't actually the Magnesium that kills the Bryopsis, but an unidentified impurity in the Kent Tech M solution.

I've read where some used pure Magnesium Chloride with no effect, but when using Tech M, it worked.

Drew11
01/13/2014, 10:39 AM
I've also heard it only works when using Kent solution to bring up your mag

ifarmer
01/13/2014, 10:50 AM
hermit usually do not live very long in the home aquarium.
I never have hermit in my tank. they do not do well in my bare bottom tank so I never have them. I do not have snails either.

higorc
01/13/2014, 10:56 AM
It seems to be hit or miss with the Magnesium based on the specific type of Bryopsis. What are you using to increase your Magnesium? There is speculation that it isn't actually the Magnesium that kills the Bryopsis, but an unidentified impurity in the Kent Tech M solution.

I've read where some used pure Magnesium Chloride with no effect, but when using Tech M, it worked.

I've also heard it only works when using Kent solution to bring up your mag

Thanks Guys for the comments, I have a nother thread where I explain what I am doing with the Bryopsis/Derbesia issue (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357884). Some members here have been having success with Salinity treatment hence the reason I am trying it. After almost 3G of Kent Tech-M and 3 months with no success, I am moving on to different aproaches.

Enough said, now back to my Acans not fully opening up... :spin1:

Just to throw it out there, the Acans stopped puffing up weeks after I raised the Salinity and flow. Raising Mag in the tank (been at 2000+ for almost 3 months now with Tech-M) had no effects at all on the Acans.

I could be wrong, but I am really suspicious of my Hermits being a little more aggressive now that I have cut Feeding to the tank...

Thanks

higorc
01/13/2014, 06:19 PM
As promised:

Couple weeks ago...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/AcansOpen_zpsbd1db7e4.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/higorc/media/AcansOpen_zpsbd1db7e4.jpg.html)

Now...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/AcanGarden_zps585f1da6.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/higorc/media/AcanGarden_zps585f1da6.jpg.html)

rtecanoe
01/13/2014, 07:25 PM
I will only get scarlet reef hermit crabs now, they have never bothered one of my corals, and also they leave my snails alone. I have read this to be the case as well, as opposed to blue leg. I also feed my tank very sparingly and they still do not bother anything.

Spyderturbo007
01/14/2014, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure I would blame the hermit crabs because it looks pretty consistent across all your corals. What about relocating the hermit crabs to the sump for a few days and see if they puff back up again?

higorc
01/14/2014, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure I would blame the hermit crabs because it looks pretty consistent across all your corals. What about relocating the hermit crabs to the sump for a few days and see if they puff back up again?

I am in the process of doing that. Just catching the straglers now... :twitch:

ifarmer
01/14/2014, 03:17 PM
I do not think you it's the hermits.
your changes to the water chemistry made the corals look not great

hey Higorc, how is the algae problem now. any better? you said you have seen some improvement lately.
you are a very very patience person. I think if were me, I probably would have wiped out everything a long time ago

ifarmer
01/15/2014, 09:56 AM
you said your phosphate level is from 1-2 and nitrate is 20 in your tank. I think that both phosphate and nitrate at that level is pretty high

higorc
01/15/2014, 10:08 AM
you said your phosphate level is from 1-2 and nitrate is 20 in your tank. I think that both phosphate and nitrate at that level is pretty high

I don't believe those readings are high enough to cause any issues, especially on Acans. But just incase I am wrong I am doing a couple of 30G water changes by the end of the week and hooking up a Bio-Pellet and a GFO reactor as well to see if it helps :).

higorc
01/15/2014, 10:10 AM
hey Higorc, how is the algae problem now. any better? you said you have seen some improvement lately.
you are a very very patience person. I think if were me, I probably would have wiped out everything a long time ago

I want to exhaust every option before breking the tank down. It seems like the Bryopsis is startin to break apart. It's floating everywher around the tank.

It's a mad dash to the finish line my friend! :uzi:

ifarmer
01/15/2014, 10:40 AM
it's good to hear about the bryopsis is starting to break apart.
Just added this thread link to my browser's bookmark for future reference in case my tank will run into this Bryopsis issue

I want to exhaust every option before breking the tank down. It seems like the Bryopsis is startin to break apart. It's floating everywher around the tank.

It's a mad dash to the finish line my friend! :uzi: