PDA

View Full Version : ALGAE ID; what could have lead to it

n091505
01/13/2014, 12:17 PM
Well things were finally looking up for me after more than a year of trying to keep things stable to keep the SPS alive and thriving. Still a long way to go.

Anyways, recently I did get a little impatient. Once I was successful in keeping the SPS frags alive (just so you know the culprit was the toadstool; coral warfare) I started reading up how to get them to color up.

Given that the nitrate/phosphate in my system was negligible, i.e. Salifert tests did not show any color change at all I decided I will experiment with dosing amino, so I added seachem fuel. Half the recommended dosing 2 times in a week. Then somehow convinced my self to leave the system to itself and not dose anything and see what happens.

After about 6 weeks; I got this algae (photo attached). Its only on the rocks and back glass which is normally covered with Coraline algae. But this nasty algae is growing on top of it. Rubbed the glass as well as rock as much as possible but this algae keeps coming back. Nothing on the sand.

Back to my original Qs; can you please help me ID the algae and perhaps suggestions as to whats the right way to get rid of it and do you think this algae is a result of dosing seachem fuel. if you need additional detail please let me know.

Ak: 9 to 10
Ca: 420 to 450
Mg: 1500
NO3/PO4: undetectable

I run PURA Phoslok complete in my 90 G system

Thanks

Crush Coral
01/13/2014, 12:48 PM
Not sure what that is. Looks like a green syno bacteria to me if there is such a thing. If so do an uptick on your tank husbandry. More frequent H2O chngs with rodi water, gravel vac your sand, blow detiris off your rocks and get it out of the tank one way or another. I like this large power filter I use to clean my water. Even if you just have a large HOT filter you can stir things up and use it to get it out of your system. Also cut bio load if possible and feed less. Then ride it out.

n091505
01/14/2014, 09:32 AM
thanks crush coral. I am doing pretty much what you said.

brandon429
01/14/2014, 11:33 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359&page=60

see last 6 pages of this thread for another way to fix, or read all 60 if you want to party :)

n091505
01/14/2014, 04:12 PM
Brandon thanks. Did a quick browse but will go through it in detail before trying it out.