PDA

View Full Version : tank leaking! Suggestions needed

TheAquatard
01/13/2014, 12:57 PM
I have a 10 gallon reef tank that is leaking from the bottom. About a quarter sized spot every few minutes. I can't see where the leak is coming from. Seeing as I'd have to drain the tank anyway to patch it, I would rather replace the tank (and upgrade to 15 gallon)

How do I do this without hurting my fish or coral? I was thinking of setting up a tupperware container, filling it with tank water and a few pieces of live rock. Putting my aquaclear refugium which is currently on the 10 gallon and moving the live stock to there.

That'd give me the space to get rid of the old tank and set up the new one. I'm concerned with the longitudinal of the tupperware container tank, how long could my fish survive in it.

Any help is apperciated. Of course these leaks always happen during my busiest weeks.

patsfan1130
01/13/2014, 01:26 PM
With a heater and oxygen they should be fine. How long do you suspect this will take you? As long as there is little to no die off on the rock you should be able to make the change over in a couple of hours.

TheAquatard
01/13/2014, 01:31 PM
I'm hoping to start the process in a few hours, be done by tomorrow night. The new tank will have new substrate live sand. I also wanted to tank the time to clean some algae off the rocks.

patsfan1130
01/13/2014, 01:40 PM
ok, well again, avoiding die off from the rock should be a priority as to avoid any ammonia spike. The cleanup of rock should be done in tank water or freshly made up water at the proper temp. Keep the critters in a vessel that allows you to maintain proper temp and water circulation. Have enough make up water on hand and you should be just fine.

TheAquatard
01/13/2014, 01:42 PM
I'll just hold of on cleaning. I don't want anything to die

Gandolfe
01/13/2014, 04:19 PM
Go to petco and buy a new tank, they are having a $1 a gallon sale right now

AndysReef
01/13/2014, 04:44 PM
You could also use this opportunity to upgrade to an even larger tank. 30+ gallons if you could

petere1989
01/13/2014, 04:45 PM
ya your best bets just run to petco for the sale and get a new tank. good luck!

foundnemo11
01/14/2014, 03:15 PM
Yeah Petco is what I was gonna say luckily for you its only a 10 gallon. That's a easy fix.

foundnemo11
01/14/2014, 03:18 PM
Also go to Walmart while turnout get a storage bin for you fish and rock and corals. Put your power head or something to keeping water moving then transplant sand to new tank and fill up. When u fill up water use a bowl or something so it doesn't disturb the sand too mucj