PDA

View Full Version : Start up aquaculture business!

jamesedwardnash
01/13/2014, 05:47 PM
Hello all!

So i'm about to take the plunge and start a coral aquaculture farm here in England, UK. I'm now in my last year of a Bsc Biological Science and want to start something that I love and that will have an impact on the worlds reefs. My aim is to supply the EU nations with soft, LPS and SPS corals and later, anemones.

This is my first post, but i've been viewing this site for years and I know there are some among you that have such companies in the US and i'd greatly appreciate your input, as well as those that propagate for their own use at home!

Firstly, what a advise would you give to an aquaculture start up? (this is very general, absolutely all advice is appreciated) Secondly, lighting... I intend to grow demanding SPS, and want to use LED due to the efficiency, the reality is that MH would be to costly to run and T5's aren't a great improvement electricity wise when accounting for the number of tubes required! Frag tanks will be shallow, approximately 5-6 inches. I have a budget and am contemplating various LED light units, the one thats caught my eye is the ReefBreeders Value unit, has anyone had much growth with SPS with these long term? I'd love to see some photographs of everyones tanks also, so feel free to post!

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

James.

borris
01/14/2014, 11:57 AM
Where in England you based

jamesedwardnash
01/14/2014, 12:03 PM
Hi Borris. I'm in Norfolk.

borris
01/14/2014, 12:15 PM
I'm currently growing corals in frag tanks mainly as a passion in my experience for SPS you cant beat halide, thats not saying LEDS don't work but for quicker growth 6500k halide grow SPS like weeds with low nutrients and nightly feeds. Softys you want T5 as you want low spread lighting in the blue and white ratio, zoas acans chalices grow good under leds. LPS mixed as I see them in nature on a wide range of lighting some grow side by side the most light demanding SPS. Also run no sand use algae scrubbers for filtration and feed the corals as much as you can this is a major aspect of keeping corals. Are you planning selling corals

jamesedwardnash
01/14/2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks Borris, thats a great help. I've been looking at custom building an LED unit to get a very good spectrum. The main reason I want to go with LED is to save electricity.

I am yes! I want to make it a fully blown company.

borris
01/14/2014, 12:39 PM
:uzi:7Thanks Borris, thats a great help. I've been looking at custom building an LED unit to get a very good spectrum. The main reason I want to go with LED is to save electricity.

I am yes! I want to make it a fully blown company.

In shallow tanks 150 halide will grow SPS so led wise your not going to save especially with the spread. You can use LEDs once they have grown to a sell able size for colour. I'll PM you some details pal.

jamesedwardnash
01/14/2014, 12:42 PM
Thats very kind of you! Thanks

borris
01/14/2014, 12:48 PM
Need 10 posts so will post some smileys

borris
01/14/2014, 12:49 PM
:reading:

firebirdude
01/15/2014, 08:42 AM
Being a wholesaler, you're going to be selling to local fish stores (or shipping). Though you may have visions of saving the world's reefs and partnering with local conservation groups etc, that's not going to make you the money to stay in business.

LFS are going to demand three things.

1) Rock bottom prices. (We're talking between $3-$10 a frag)
2) Quality pieces. (So no chiclet sized frags, no parasites, and very limited die off from shipping)
3) A CONSTANT SUPPLY (They need to be able to place an order for multiple pieces every 1 or 2 weeks. So if it takes you two months to restock from a 40pc order, you're too small to deal with.)

Lastly, it gets cold as heck in the UK. Hope you're ready to keep the frags warm. A few heaters aren't going to cut it...

Spend a few days planning out your layout, then spend a few more researching costs. Crunch the numbers well, because ANY of us will tell you.... it's nearly impossible to make this a standalone living successful business.