PDA

View Full Version : Bleached or browned?

mess7777
01/13/2014, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

Believe it or not thus is a sunset Millepora. A couple weeks ago it was green although far from perfect. I adjusted my lights (pacific sun Hyperion ) to more white but also decreased intensity to compensate. Went from 90% with 50% white to 77% with 70% white.

Unfortunately this coincided with a phosphate spike where I went from 0.00 to .20 (Hanna checker )
Phosphates are now back to .03 and stable. My question is do I crank up of down the lights or should I wait a while to see if it comes back. all corals are quite pale in color, not sure if that helps.

Thanks for any input

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb464/mess7777/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps01be620f.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/mess7777/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps01be620f.jpg.html)

Hyper ions are 2x150 watt LEDs.

chrisfont23
01/13/2014, 06:56 PM
Not sure if this is fact, but I read a lot about the white being the PAR where the blue is more the PUR. You might be bleaching them? Look at those zoas. I would lean toward that (now seeing the photo).

Just my two cents...

D-Nak
01/13/2014, 07:01 PM
What kind of lights was it under prior to introduction to your tank? The reason I ask is because if anything new goes into my tank, I need about a month of acclimating before the SPS are used to my LEDs -- this applies both to T5s and halides. I also noticed that the frags brown out or get discolored, but usually come back -- some take longer than others.

My suggestion is to move the frag down towards the bottom but give it high flow. Then slowly move it up over the course of a few weeks.

tkeracer619
01/13/2014, 07:03 PM
Zoes are bleached. Can't say anything about the sps. I would turn your lighting photo period down.

How did you spike your phosphates like that?

mess7777
01/13/2014, 07:20 PM
Zoes are bleached. Can't say anything about the sps. I would turn your lighting photo period down.

How did you spike your phosphates like that?

i overcleaned my ats so it took a week to catch back up. i used some gfo to bring it back down quickly so it was only high a day or two.

why do you say that the zoas are bleached? the green is too light coloree? the closed ones are due to a hermit crab passing by just before the photo.

mess7777
01/13/2014, 07:35 PM
What kind of lights was it under prior to introduction to your tank? The reason I ask is because if anything new goes into my tank, I need about a month of acclimating before the SPS are used to my LEDs -- this applies both to T5s and halides. I also noticed that the frags brown out or get discolored, but usually come back -- some take longer than others.

My suggestion is to move the frag down towards the bottom but give it high flow. Then slowly move it up over the course of a few weeks.

i got it from a tank that also had leds. it had perfect peach coralites with bright greeen polyps. color went to a pale green in my tank and now brown. if you look at the tort on the left of the photo it is normally a very nice turqoise but it now very pale almost grey.

mess7777
01/14/2014, 07:37 PM
well I couldn't bear to not do anything, the color seemed even lighter today with more white on the tips. I took my lights down a notch to see how things react.

D-Nak
01/14/2014, 07:51 PM
i used some gfo to bring it back down quickly so it was only high a day or two.

You may have shocked them with too much GFO. If using the GFO from BRS, my suggestion is to start with 1/4 of the amount that they suggest, then slowly work your way up to the recommended amount. Many people have experienced the same problem by using too much GFO from the onset.

chrisfont23
01/15/2014, 08:37 AM
You have too much light. I had the same thing happen with my LEDs.