PDA

View Full Version : Having Coral Issue

BlindZide
01/13/2014, 07:29 PM
Hey guys, I am having a problem figuring out what is going on with some corals I have. Nothing has changed in the tank. I think I have an idea but I am unsure. About 2 weeks I noticed some stringy black/brown algae on my Pink Gonipora. I also noticed it on my Blue/Green Sympodium. And now, for some reason, it is on my Pulsing Xenia.

I believe this is due to high Nitrates (been doing water changes....result of over feeding AGAIN!) and flow. I moved my Gonipora from where it was to a higher flow area and the algae vanished. I am going to move the sympodium to a similar spot to increase flow there. I am however unsure of how to get it off my Xenia. This is the best pic I have. It is not on any of my other corals in the tank. Thanks!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5NZ9X1BIDDg/UtSRMfbtBHI/AAAAAAAADXY/nS4DiQW4Wik/w913-h685-no/20140113_194951.jpg

BlindZide
01/13/2014, 08:41 PM
It is along the outer edges of the polyps. Some really stringy.

I had a local reefer say he thinks it is Dinos, can anyone confirm?

BlindZide
01/14/2014, 06:42 AM
No one? I guess I will freshwater dip my corals before I move them to the new tank.

cheezybuda
01/14/2014, 06:50 AM
I can't tell by the pic, but it could be brown jelly disease. I lost my gonipora to it

BlindZide
01/14/2014, 04:32 PM
I had brown jelly disease on one of my Zoas and I took it out the tank and TEd it but it perished. This looking nothing like that. It looks like hair algae coming from 2 corals.

rfgonzo
01/14/2014, 07:06 PM
Xenia also like high water flow and may help remove what ever is on it. Is your xenia still pulsing? If they are injured or dying xenia can release toxins in to the tank. I would carbon dose to help stop toxins if you thing it's injured or dying.

BlindZide
01/14/2014, 07:48 PM
My Xenia wont pulse in high flow. It gets a generous amount of flow. Enough to make the stocks rock back and forth. I moved the sympodium higher in the tank in higher flow. I haven't moved the Xenia. I am afraid it will get hurt in high flow.

rfgonzo
01/14/2014, 08:53 PM
Xenia,
Water flow: Moderate to high water flow is important. Higher water flow may increase pulsing activity.

saltym3
01/14/2014, 10:50 PM
Could be Dino's. I just posted about a similar issue. View my recent thread with pics to compare.

BlindZide
01/15/2014, 06:51 AM
Sadly, my Xenia has died. It was my fault. I noticed it also had flatworms and read that a freshwater dip would help with removing them. I think I may have left him in there to long. Woke up this morning and he was shreaded. I think between that and maybe one of my inverts got it. Good thing it wasn't my sympodium. Still kinda sad to see it go. I kinda liked it.

BlindZide
01/15/2014, 07:17 AM
Ok, so now after looking at my tank this morning, the algae in question isn't seen on the sand bed or rocks. The algae from what I can tell was just isolated to just those 2 corals. I am trying to find concrete evidence it is Dinos but it doesn't have the bubble characteristic. There are no bubbles near or on this algae. I am starting to this it is just GHA and my grazers are keeping it in check.

Now that would make sense because my Nitrates are insanely high. I'm not talking about 5-10ppm, I am talking 50ppm on a Red Sea test. I am due for a 100% water change wouldn't you think? This weekend since I have a 3 day weekend I will removes all stock, stir the sand bed, blow the rocks and remove all water and refill again. See where that leads me.

Input on this? Any advice would be awesome!