PDA

View Full Version : algae is killing me

saintsnsinners
01/13/2014, 09:33 PM
I've been battling this junk for 2 months. I brush it each week and do a water change, but it keeps coming back. I'm using phosguard and red sea no3po4x. According to my delivery tests, I have 0 phosphates and nitrates. Ivfeedbsparingly and have my day lights on for 8 hours. Did 3 days of lights out which got rid of my cyano, but not this hair algae. Skimming on the wet side. Any suggestions?

saintsnsinners
01/13/2014, 09:34 PM
Oh yeah, even tried 2 sea hares but they both died. Not sure if my hoevens killed them or what. Yellow tang won't touch the stuff.

Crush Coral
01/13/2014, 10:21 PM
You are not alone. from pic i say hair algae. do searches on it and read. blow off your racks and do H2O changes. run go and carbon. pull it daily. if you have a sumptuous grow chaeto or algae scrubber . Change go about every 3 weeks. u Will tell by growth if u went too long. i have been fighting it for a year and seem to be meeting it but the answer seems to be hitting it from all sides. not 1 single thing to do to beet it.

Tangnerd
01/13/2014, 10:45 PM
When I had my hair algae problem (about 2 months ago) I started by getting things that would eat the algae such as a sea hare (still fat and happy) and I got some snails and hermits. Once I had the eaters established I took the rocks out scraped them in one bucket then dipped them in a second to get remaining spores off then put them in the tank. Doing this withthe combination of algae eaters gave a chance for the hermits snails and tangs to catch up with the algae and that eliminated my problem. A patch of hair algae mah pop up every now and again but my sea hare will eat it before it grows too big. Also, sea hates can be difficult to acclimate at first. I got my first one and it died, but then I got a second and he's doing great, guess it's just luck of the draw. I hope this helps with your algae and I feel you when it comes to battling this stuff, it becomes very annoying (makes you want to quit the hobby), but once it's gone you will be celebrating.