PDA

View Full Version : Dear fish room/garage owners!

crazynewmix
01/14/2014, 01:25 AM
If you could help "past you" design your fish room, what advise/tips would you tell yourself? I feel like there is no replacement for experience and no matter how much I plan/research, I can't possibly foresee every issue.

I am in the process of laying out my "fish shed". My 6'x2.5'x2' peninsula tank is up against an exterior wall and I am sending my drains right through the wall. I am building about a 4'x6.5' shed on the other side to house everything I can keep outside. It will be fully insulated with heat, cold, and humidity control for the drastic weather changes of San Diego.

I feel I have a good plan/layout but I would like to hear what you guys/gals have to advise.

d2mini
01/14/2014, 07:40 AM
It will be fully insulated with heat, cold, and humidity control for the drastic weather changes of San Diego.

That's the most important part, IMHO. Everything else is gravy.
Another nice bonus, would be if you could have a drain in the floor near the sump and a sink.

JustinGr
01/14/2014, 07:49 AM
I use an attached 2 car garage for my fish room. I had it finished professionally (walls and ceiling) and had it insulated to the max. I had an insulated garage door installed and then I added a furnace and AC. The floors I left concrete and there is a drain in the floor for water changes.
I even put a 42" 3D TV, sofa and some chairs out there for my "fish friends" to come over. I have a 180, two MARS units, 4 40B's and two custom breeding cubes that each hold 4 pairs of breeding clowns.

Planning for electric, water, freak weather (I have a whole house generator), and the such is paramount.

ca1ore
01/14/2014, 07:50 AM
drastic weather changes of San Diego.

Ah, yes, those rapid temperature swings form 68 in the winter to 70 in the summer. I'd not recommend an outside fish room in any place except ..... San Diego!

JB63
01/14/2014, 09:14 AM
Someone is just 'rubbing-in' the nice weather they have ... for sure Chicago temp swings pale in comparison.

smb2415
01/14/2014, 11:09 AM
+1 for floor drain and sink. I would also line the entire floor with pond liner (tie floor drain into this) and line the walls with FRP sheets to help with cleaning and mold.

I would also plan to wire for a dedicated generator (or tie into whole house)

Install both a bright white light and a red light (for nighttime critter catching)

I also know you guys pay a lot for water out there so if possible plumbing a holding tank for RO waste, water changes, etc and then use that water to water plants, lawn, etc.

crazynewmix
01/14/2014, 11:14 AM
Yay sounds like I'm heading in the right direction!

Thanks for all the help.

Spar
01/14/2014, 01:37 PM
+whatever on drain in floor.. i at least have a dedicated sink in the room but doesnt help against the risk of flooding; is however nice for water changes.

in a perfect world I would have my own room temperature regulation too (dedicated AC/Heater), but hasn't really bothered me much.

clay12340
01/14/2014, 02:36 PM
I'd go bigger than 4x6.5 if possible. That doesn't seem like much room to move around when you've got a couple QTs in there a sump and all the equipment. A bit of extra space allows for more water storage for water changes/emergency recovery. It also protects a bit against equipment creep.

smb2415
01/14/2014, 04:04 PM
Whatever you decide with the final size of the shed be sure to keep the QT/hospital tanks far away from your sumps/fuges/etc. In my case I have a 3x5 closet and I had to remove the QT from there so it would not contaminate the other tanks.... I found it was way too easy for water to splash during water changes, equipment movement 9like changing filter medium), and transfer of fish. In my case it was best to move the QT to another area altogether. I also ended up setting up the closet doors as French doors so I could allow for the largest opening and make the most room out of the closet.

Just an FYI to be sure you plan for the extra space.

I've also found that from paper to real life is about 1/2 the size you thought it was on was paper... So add 50%.

For example if the shed is 4'x6.5' outside dimensions you are already at 3'-6"x5'11" or less. in you want to stand in the shed plan on subtracting about a 2'x2' area. So now you're at 18"x3'11" . Just putting it out there to get you thinking.

crazynewmix
01/15/2014, 04:06 AM
6.5'x4' is the biggest I can go. Its a castle compared to under cabinet sumps but I could never have to much room. Big enough room and I would be a breeder in no time! Saving those ideas for later though. For now I have to cut out as much fat as possible. I want to have a large amount of water for heat retention and stable water quality but also ease of use is the greatest part of a fish room. I feel I must really on the essentials.

QT/hospital tank is my biggest concern. I have never felt right getting a tang for my current tanks but now there are only a few common tangs I would have to pass on. That means my QT tank must be big enough to support the larger fish.

I already have my RO/DI setup go to lawn water and an aquaponics setup. I actually have a few canisters and equipment coming from BRS now to reduce waste water even more.

crazynewmix
01/15/2014, 04:17 AM
+1 for floor drain and sink. I would also line the entire floor with pond liner (tie floor drain into this) and line the walls with FRP sheets to help with cleaning and mold.

I would also plan to wire for a dedicated generator (or tie into whole house)

Install both a bright white light and a red light (for nighttime critter catching)

I also know you guys pay a lot for water out there so if possible plumbing a holding tank for RO waste, water changes, etc and then use that water to water plants, lawn, etc.

The pond liner is a fantastic idea! Covering the whole floor + up the walls a foot is something I am certainly going to do now. What would you put over the liner? I'm certain there is a way to protect it.

The red light is a very cool and easy add on.

Powering is something I really need to think about. With the investment already made and the more to come, I have been thinking about a few solar panels and battery set up just for the system. Emergency powering is one thing that I am slacking on and surely need to put some thought into.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Spar
01/15/2014, 08:46 AM
Dedicated circuits/breakers also. I put 4 in my fish room, 20 amp ones.

Love the built-in generator idea! ... wonder if could still set something like that up post-build...

clay12340
01/15/2014, 10:26 AM
I'd look at some of the resin/rubber coatings instead of the pond liner. They're a pain once they tear, and the price difference between the two is probably not going to be all that significant.

crazynewmix
01/15/2014, 11:54 PM
I'd look at some of the resin/rubber coatings instead of the pond liner. They're a pain once they tear, and the price difference between the two is probably not going to be all that significant.

OK. I have dealt with pond liner a little in ponds and such so I wasn't sure if they would stand up well as a floor. I do have the 3.5 gallon bucket of RedGard Paint that I already planned on using so I will probably just stick with that. I will also be doing the walls in fiberglass reinforced wall panels.

I love peg board so much and it would be extremely useful here. Any ideas on how to protect it without filling all the holes?

capt85
01/16/2014, 12:53 AM
I used vinyl like people use in kitchens and bathrooms. Pretty cheap for the longevity of it.