PDA

View Full Version : Manifold Design

Raoul5Duke
01/14/2014, 09:17 AM
I'm planning a large build (~300 Gall. in wall) that I hope to start soon and I would really like to use a manifold and run as many things as possible off of the main pump. It seems most designs put the manifold off the return line with a gate valve before and after where the manifold tees off (I found most examples in the pristine plumbing thread). I'm just wondering if everyone believes this is the best design and if there is anything I should keep in mind for making sure that I can achieve a consistent flow to each of the manifold outlets. Items I am considering running off the manifold would include: Carbon Reactor, GFO Reactor, Algae Scrubber or Display Fuge, Frag Tank. I would likely build in a few extras just in case I want to add something later. I have seen a few designs where people have put outlets on the return line, but this doesn't seem like the ideal setup to me. Also, was thinking I would use a Bean Animal Overflow (need to study up on these) and I'm guessing that would interfere with how these overflows operate. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

smb2415
01/14/2014, 11:03 AM
I have a 550g DT /800g system and have spent countless hours planning, reading, and reviewing many threads and emagazines. I would suggest that you do not run the manifold off of your main return pump and use a smaller dedicated pump. The reason is the flow rate of your return. when you have a manifold and have various items turning on/off your rate of flow will change and that will effect the flow rate of your DT tank returns. If you do use a manifold off of the return pump then use it for constant flow items such as your display fuge, frag tank.

You mention the Bean Animal overflow and that is an excellent choice. Be sure to spend plenty of time planning the layout and it will be well worth it. I use it on my system and I would never use another other method. Back to the points above, if the return rates fluctuates you will be endlessly adjusting the overflow valve on this setup. You should also know/plan/understand that using this setup the overflows must go directly to the sump without Y's or Tee's and with as straight of a pump as possible.

IMO best solution for larger systems
1) use 2 dedicated smaller return pumps, instead of 1 larger one
2) use bean animal overflow w/coast to coast weir
3) use a dedicated manifold pump/s

mcgyvr
01/14/2014, 11:15 AM
^^ +1

Raoul5Duke
01/14/2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info. That is very helpful. smb2415 do you have a build thread I can check out?

smb2415
01/14/2014, 11:42 AM
sure, my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2285093

Its still in progress so if you have any questions fire away

Raoul5Duke
01/15/2014, 09:28 AM
So another question. Per the advice above I saw a thread where Meleev had two external pumps that were separate, but plumbed together with a gate valve so one was for the DT and one for the manifold. If the DT pump goes out he can divert the manifold to run the DT and shut the manifold off. I thought this was an excellent idea. Anyway, to my question. On the manifold I would assume it would be best to run the low flow equipment off the first couple of lines and dial them in thus letting the remaining flow go to the frag tank or fuge tank that can handle the excess flow if needed, or does it really matter??

smb2415
01/15/2014, 09:50 AM
The low flow equipment will likely only require 1/2" or less tubing and as such will not noticeably effect the flow to frag or fuge tanks.

That is an excellent idea If you're going that route I would 2 identical pumps for ease of replacement and failover.

Raoul5Duke
01/15/2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the input. I just need to learn how to use sketchup now, so I can get the design drawn up.....

smb2415
01/15/2014, 10:10 AM
when you figure it out let me know. I've played with it for a few min however I wasn't very successful

Raoul5Duke
01/15/2014, 10:46 AM
I've been going to mastersketchup.com and watching some tutorials but the going is slow. That whole family/job thing keeps getting in the way of my important aquarium designing.

clay12340
01/15/2014, 03:39 PM
i've been going to mastersketchup.com and watching some tutorials but the going is slow. That whole family/job thing keeps getting in the way of my important aquarium designing.

+1