PDA

View Full Version : i Gooffed, how much of an issue am i going to have?

Rymah
01/14/2014, 12:19 PM
so the short version of the sotry is:
Ordered a new tank + Stand 60 gallon cube-24x24x24
picked up a 20g tall while i was there thinking it was going to be perfect for the sump.
got home built the sump.
Tank and stand are in now and the sump dosnt fit left to right. it will fit Front to back though.

How much trouble is this going to cause me for every day stuff (skimmer and fiter changed ext.)
ive got about 100$ into the sump at this point so i dont really want to junk it (tanks are more expensive here)
thanks for your input!

Rutrag
01/14/2014, 12:27 PM
The real question is can you access all your sump compartments and components? (I'm assuming the sump is supported all the way around the base.). If you can, you're probably fine. If you have areas you're only going to be able to work on by touch, I imagine you're going to get sick of dealing with it and either neglect it or end up replacing your sump.

Rymah
01/14/2014, 12:39 PM
the sump is supported and level i was thinking i would make the drain be at the front so i can access the fillter sock easily. how often would i really need to access the return chamber/pump?

also it will fit snuggly if i trim down the black brace on either side.. if it buts right up against the wall of the stand would that be safe?

thegrun
01/14/2014, 01:06 PM
You do need to periodically access the return pump as it will collect detritus on the intake screen and periodically needs to be removed to clean the impeller (calcium deposits). Figure at least monthly on the intake, every other month for the impeller (your durations may vary). Without pictures it's difficult to advise on reworking the back brace, I would be very cautious. Perhaps you could add another brace to supplement the thinning of the existing brace. It is best to keep the tank off the wall a little for air movement in the cabinet.

Rymah
01/14/2014, 01:12 PM
You do need to periodically access the return pump as it will collect detritus on the intake screen and periodically needs to be removed to clean the impeller (calcium deposits). Figure at least monthly on the intake, every other month for the impeller (your durations may vary). Without pictures it's difficult to advise on reworking the back brace, I would be very cautious. Perhaps you could add another brace to supplement the thinning of the existing brace. It is best to keep the tank off the wall a little for air movement in the cabinet.

i think you misunderstood about the brace, i am talking about the black one the sits on top and bottom of most standard tanks. so if you picture a 20gallon if i trim down bothside to the glass (leaving front, back and top as is)

Thanks...

thegrun
01/14/2014, 03:00 PM
My bad, no, do not trim down the brace! Could you modify the cabinet to allow the tank to fit?