PDA

View Full Version : MJ1200 Cobalt Pump Failure

cambo123
01/14/2014, 01:01 PM
So I installed the BRS media reactor with MJ Pump last night and had a very strange thing happen. About 5 minutes into installation, a strange smell (not really electrical, more like high friction) came from the sump. I was scratching my head and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I went to the bathroom and came back to a frozen pump and a tank that looked like it got hit with a taser. Corals looked slightly bleached and not really retracted but definitely not healthy. For example, the frogspawn's tentacles were puffed up like a ballon at its base but completely retraced at its tip. I never got shocked during this process btw. Anyway, I turned the pump off and pulled it out thinking it was stuck and maybe the corals were reacting to the GFO. Well, it certainly wasn't stuck. I plugged it in dry (without the impeller) to see if I could feel the motor spin and....BANG. A nice strong short. The wire fell out a moment later. Not sure what happened but defiantly spooked me. Has this happened to anyone else?

On a side note, I went and purchased a MJ900 Mariland (what a POS) for a temporary use until BRS sends a new unit (will use it for water changes anyway). The water is a bit cloudy (hoping the carbon clears that up) and I am making water to do a water change. Hoping that everything recovers. Any other suggestions?

cambo123
01/14/2014, 08:49 PM
Searched the net, found a bad review on BRS for this pump where this appeared to have happened. I must have gotten a dud since no other threads or forums mention this type of failure with cobalt MJ's.