PDA

View Full Version : 36 gallon reef tank stocking list?

LagginPotato
01/14/2014, 06:54 PM
So i'm in the process of setting up my first ever reef tank. The tank will be 36 gallons and I was wondering what you guys thought of this stocking list:

-(1) Royal Gramma Basslet
-(1) Tomato Clownfish
-(1) Starcki Damsel
-(1) Kaudern's Cardinal
-(1) Yellowhead Jawfish
-(1) Green Clown Goby

Total: 6 fish (18.25 inches total in max size)

So do you think all these fish would get along together with no issues and that the tank isn't overstocked? Also, what inverts do you guys recommend? I'm thinking some shrimp, some snails, and some hermit crabs. But what types and how many of each should I get? Also in the tank will be all types of corals and a 5 inch sand bed for the jawfish. Thanks!

Xavibear
01/14/2014, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=

-(1) Royal Gramma Basslet
-(1) Tomato Clownfish
-(1) Starcki Damsel
-(1) Kaudern's Cardinal
-(1) Yellowhead Jawfish
-(1) Green Clown Goby

[/QUOTE]

I think that you would be overstocked. The tomato clown gets big & mean, probably should be in a larger tank than a 36g.

Skip the hermits unless you really like them. Get a good mix of snails & make sure that it includes cerith snails.

X

LagginPotato
01/14/2014, 09:47 PM
If I added a smaller species of clownfish would it be okay?

FTDelta
01/14/2014, 09:56 PM
I agree with removing the Tomato clownfish. Just to be clear, in saltwater we don't go by the "1 inch of fish per gallon rule".''

FTDelta
01/14/2014, 09:59 PM
Occelleris or Percula clowns would be better.

MikeandNicole
01/15/2014, 02:00 PM
Welcome to reef keeping!
I can tell you put a lot of thought into that plan.

I do have a couple of suggestions. I would skip the damsel. I know live aquaria says they are semi-aggressive, and rates them for 30g, but I have kept this species and I would not do so in a 36g. The damsel and the clown are both members of the same family, and I would pick one or the other in your shoes.
I do agree that A. Percula or Ocelaris clown would be a better fit for your tank. Look for an aquacultured fish.
The Kauderin's cardinal can also get pretty large, mine is 3 years old and he is not a small fish. He does chase when my clowns (in my 80g frag tank) get too close to him. Like the clown and the cleaner goby, this species is aquacultured and I would look for an aquacultured juvi fish.
A 5" sand bed will be good for your jawfish, but it is going to reduce the total water volume of your tank pretty significantly, so do keep that in mind. You could go as low as 3" with the sandbed.
If you end up keeping SPS, your green clown goby will perch on it, which can damage the coral. An alternative would be a cleaner goby. They are aquacultured, are pretty and serve a purpose in the tank, helping to remove parasites and dead skin from other fish in the tank.
Regarding inverts, I like cleaner shrimp, I like scarlet reef hermits, and I like serpent (not brittle) stars.
Good luck with your new tank!