PDA

View Full Version : Mp40 and 45g marineland cube questions

reeffreak75
01/15/2014, 02:29 AM
So I been in the process of building a 45g cube rimless from marineland,custom made stand and a 25g marineland rimless aquarium as a sump,I will be using a sc aquariums skimmer rated up to 180g,i wil be having around 5 or more inches of sand In the sump,the internal overflow box is rated up to 1200 gph,return pump will be 800 or so magdrive (recommendations are welcome).i Want a lot of flow so the main display tank will be bare bottom with life rock only!as lighting goes Im thinking about rapidled or a Hamilton 25o watt pendant with a 14k xm bulb,so my main question is.will an mp40 be too much pump @ it's 100% and wave mode? I set my Internal overflow at around 1 inch off the top so there's more like 1 and 1/2 inches of water from the top after its filled with water..thats my guessing!thanks for your reply in advance:)

Ps the drain line is one inch and the return line is 3/4 of inch it has a second emergency overflow so I can have a silent main overflow..

cakemanPA
01/15/2014, 06:27 AM
I run 2 mp10s in a 50 cube. I have to be very careful with the percentage. If I crank it all the way up and place the a bit too high on the tank, I can easily slosh water out. I would suspect that an mp40 at 100% will do the same. I owned mp40s on my bigger tanks.

auburnreefer110
01/15/2014, 07:53 AM
I have the 60 gallon cube, don't put to much of a powerful return pump on it or you will get a nice toilet flushing sound in your overflow

Clamagore
01/15/2014, 08:10 AM
I have an MP40 throwing across the long dimension of a 55 gallon, 30”Wx20”Hx22”D rimless. It’s mounted high in the tank, but running the pump at anything over one-third power moves sand across the bottom. Using the wave mode at lower power levels is fine, but full power would absolutely make a big mess. In fact, I wouldn't even do it at half power.

In my case, two MP10's on either side would probably be a better configuration, but I prefer the look of the tank with only one.

thegrun
01/15/2014, 08:36 AM
I also run two MP-10's on my 50 cube and I only ramp them up to 75%. I think a MP-40 would blow sand all over the tank and be much to strong. All MP pumps will only slow down to 30% of their minimum flow even if you program them to run at 5%, so for the MP-40 your minimum flow is going to be 1000 GPH.

reeffreak75
01/15/2014, 10:11 AM
I run 2 mp10s in a 50 cube. I have to be very careful with the percentage. If I crank it all the way up and place the a bit too high on the tank, I can easily slosh water out. I would suspect that an mp40 at 100% will do the same. I owned mp40s on my bigger tanks.

Thanks for the reply..Im just wondered since people tells always says there's never too much flow..lol

reeffreak75
01/15/2014, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=auburnreefer110;22284603]I have the 60 gallon cube, don't put to much of a powerful return pump on it or you will get a nice toilet flushing sound in your overflow[/QUOTE

I don't want my heaters in my display tank so I thought about high flow since the water will be heated in the sump.not the display tank..just Been curious to wether it will create sounds if I have the herbie silent overflow??

reeffreak75
01/15/2014, 10:22 AM
I have an MP40 throwing across the long dimension of a 55 gallon, 30”Wx20”Hx22”D rimless. It’s mounted high in the tank, but running the pump at anything over one-third power moves sand across the bottom. Using the wave mode at lower power levels is fine, but full power would absolutely make a big mess. In fact, I wouldn't even do it at half power.

In my case, two MP10's on either side would probably be a better configuration, but I prefer the look of the tank with only one.

Thanks for the quick reply..I'm running one mp40 in my 75 with a dsb and too much flow will just cause sand blasting all over the tank...so with this 45 rimless I'm doing bare bottom display and like 5 or more dsp in the sump so I won't have that problem..

The real question is, could too much flow make the rimless tank to brake or leak since I heard many tanks can't really do wave mode because they can brake of too much pressure..??

reeffreak75
01/15/2014, 10:26 AM
I also run two MP-10's on my 50 cube and I only ramp them up to 75%. I think a MP-40 would blow sand all over the tank and be much to strong. All MP pumps will only slow down to 30% of their minimum flow even if you program them to run at 5%, so for the MP-40 your minimum flow is going to be 1000 GPH.

I would think its a waste of money if u use such a strong pump in a tank that small and not be able to use it at its full potential..

Ps..I don't want to run those ugly coralias if I don't have to..lol

thegrun
01/15/2014, 10:28 AM
A pure linear flow with variance is not a problem for the tank. Issues can develop if you set it up to develop actual waves in the tank; most tanks were not engineered to withstand that type of force.

reeffreak75
01/15/2014, 10:33 AM
A pure linear flow with variance is not a problem for the tank. Issues can develop if you set it up to develop actual waves in the tank; most tanks were not engineered to withstand that type of force.

I see!! I might just have to get the mp10 later on idk..I really wanted those damn waves..lol

cakemanPA
01/15/2014, 10:56 AM
I can make waves with my mp10s. I tuned them down to stop most of the wave action.