PDA

View Full Version : SRO 5000SSS Skimmer- Snail Issues!

higorc
01/15/2014, 09:06 AM
Alright, so this is the second time in 3 weeks a snail gets sucked in the intake of my SRO 5000SSS Skimmer. I had to take the WHOLE skimmer apart including the pump/impeller cover to get the snail unstuck.

Do I have to even say how much of a PITA that is?! :angryfire: It blows my mind that a $700 Skimmer won't have some kind of "Snail Guard" or an easier way to removes these little suckers when they get sucked into the pump!

Am I the only one that feels this way?! Maybe I am just stupid for letting snails crawl from my Fuge to my Skimmer chamber. Maybe I should put a "NO SNAILS ALLOWED" sign by the baffles leading to the Skimmer. Or even better, Reef Octopus should have thought about this!!!:debi:

I cut a piece of left over clear mesh from when I build my tank cover and covered the intake of the skimmer with it so I don't have to deal with this anymore. It just doesn't feel right I have to play "MacGyver" after paying almost $700 for this Skimmer!

Rant over, thanks for listening :spin3:

Thanks
Higor

ridetheducati
01/15/2014, 10:57 AM
That was close.

higorc
01/15/2014, 11:01 AM
That was close.

Hmm?!

nly04
02/17/2014, 03:38 PM
Why you have an SRO-5000SSS on the 120g set up? its over kill or it's overflow? how to maintain it not over skim?

higorc
02/17/2014, 04:31 PM
No such thing in my books... people argue this, but I get nice dark/thick Skimmate with it. Plus, when I upgrade the tank I don't have to worry about the Skimmer like my last upgrade :spin3:

Luv my Beast! :smokin: He does things would make u Puke! My wife sure yells at me everytime I empty the Skimmer cup :)