PDA

View Full Version : Algae

borris
01/15/2014, 12:31 PM
Just a thought do we go over the top in terms of nutrient removal and to keep algae in check, there must be a reason their is millions of herbivore fish living on a reef which is they eat the algae.

thegrun
01/15/2014, 01:51 PM
...but most of them eat coral as well.

borris
01/15/2014, 02:00 PM
tangs, blennys, millions of herbivore snails etc, i agree some fish eat corals but i have yet to see a tang eat a coral.

brandon429
01/15/2014, 02:05 PM
if someone gets a neomeris invasion, all the sudden they care much about algae that fish wont touch :)

all other forms of questioning is said from the perspective of someone with no neomeris sprigs.

borris
01/15/2014, 02:17 PM
http://coralreefsystems.org/blog/underappreciated-reef-algae

I find this quite interesting

DLANDINO
01/15/2014, 09:07 PM
In my opinion, we don't go over the top. The reason that this is not necessary in the wild is because the water volume, continuous current and exchange of water is limitless. In our closed systems all the nutrients that we put in stay there until we remove them. Get slightly out of balance and you start to have issues that make the hobby less fun :)

Also there are billions and billions of animals in the oceans that naturally filter and use the nutrients that otherwise cause trouble in our small drops of home ocean. (clams and sponges to name a few) It has been said that the massive amount of sponge life in the Caribbean can filter the waters there clean in a 24 hour period. I forget where I read that but it got me interested in creating a cryptic refugium. This never materialized but it still rattles around in the back of my mind as a future project.