PDA

View Full Version : NEW Tank HELP !!!!!!

Sicotic
01/15/2014, 12:38 PM
I have a new 60 IM marine tank . Its been up and running since 12/31 Using all live rock from my cousins established tank , he also gave me a colt coral and a rock with a tube worm ( feather duster in it ) Adding a clean up crew, a few days later all the snails had died. Figuring on it was bad heater, the tank never got over 70 degrees. Did about a 50% water change to get rid of phosphates from dead snails, been running since this past sat. Colt coral started coming back ,and all chem numbers looked good.

Added 2 clowns and yellow tang , anemone last night along with more snails. By noon today both clowns and all snails appear dead . Not sure about the tang, but hes still swimming ..

Anyone have any ideas ??? Please help .

reefrider
01/15/2014, 12:51 PM
you are moving too fast! sounds like an impatient person starting in a patient hobby. Did you test any water parameters? Alk, ph, Nitrate, phosphate…

Bender19
01/15/2014, 12:56 PM
Slow down. Patients is key.

Let's solve a couple problems. First you need to stabilize your temp. I prefer 78°F using multiple smaller heaters (Failsafe).

Second what are your parameters? Cal mg alk ammonia nitrite nitrate. Sounds like you didn't allow for a cycle.

Get that tang out of the tank until you cycle (and some people will say forever as it needs lots of space).

Phosphates are not your issue atm. Ammonia Is.

More equipment information is necessary to go further.

Sicotic
01/15/2014, 12:57 PM
yes I am very new to this hobby, but people that have helped me are not. I don't know numbers off the top of my head, but LFS said they were fine to add livestock.

I want to learn, I was told the tank was fine and all numbers of water looked good.

reefrider
01/15/2014, 01:02 PM
LFS wants to make money and will sell you fish…i suggest buy some quality test kits and test. Then wait for tank to fully cycle

Bender19
01/15/2014, 01:03 PM
My best advice is to read all the sticky post on the "New to the hobby " forum. After that reread them. Then ask lost of questions. Research everything before doing anything. Never go to the Lfs unless you have researched and decided on what your going there for. Some (not all) lfs are just out there for the $$