PDA

View Full Version : How to get nori to stick to live rock?

The_Blenny357
01/15/2014, 02:13 PM
How do i get nori to stick to my live rock?

AndysReef
01/15/2014, 02:27 PM
Take a small piece of rock, take a rubber band and wrap it around the nori securing it to the live rock

The_Blenny357
01/15/2014, 02:52 PM
Take a small piece of rock, take a rubber band and wrap it around the nori securing it to the live rock

Would the rubber band start to dissolve over time and screw things up?

AndysReef
01/15/2014, 02:56 PM
Just have a small piece of rock in the tank and take it out every time you feed nori. Don't keep it in constantly

The_Blenny357
01/15/2014, 02:58 PM
Just have a small piece of rock in the tank and take it out every time you feed nori. Don't keep it in constantly

Ok thanks.

ken6217
01/15/2014, 03:08 PM
Would the rubber band start to dissolve over time and screw things up?

Believe me, the nori will be ripped apart and making a mess and way before anything happens to a rubber band.
Ken

davocean
01/15/2014, 04:02 PM
Believe me, the nori will be ripped apart and making a mess and way before anything happens to a rubber band.
Ken

Yep.
Even better, rubber band both the nori and fishing line around that rock so you can pull rock out easy.

cloak
01/15/2014, 04:20 PM
You could also just cut the nori into 1/4" x 1/4" pieces and feed it like flake food. You'll want to soak them in some water for a few minutes beforehand though. This way they won't float away and go over the falls.

ska d
01/15/2014, 05:02 PM
I use rubber bands to hold coral to rock all the time. Leave it in for weeks at a time with no issue. Just don't use coloured rubber bands.

ken6217
01/15/2014, 09:21 PM
You could also just cut the nori into 1/4" x 1/4" pieces and feed it like flake food. You'll want to soak them in some water for a few minutes beforehand though. This way they won't float away and go over the falls.

I was thinking of this. Is it effective?

Thanks,
Ken

1fishkeeper
01/15/2014, 10:10 PM
Yep.
Even better, rubber band both the nori and fishing line around that rock so you can pull rock out easy.

This is what I do. I tie some fishing line on a small rubble rock. Then take a rubber band to hold my nori on it. Lower it in and after a couple of hours I will pull it out cleaned of all nori that was ever on it. Maybe once a month I might put a new rubber band on it. Oh and a side note. I will take the tail of my fishing line and place it under my mag cleaner so it doesn't go floating off into the tank.

kc350twin
01/16/2014, 08:43 AM
I was using a rock but it is a pain. I now use a large Mag-float and rubber band it to that or trap it against the glass for larger pieces.

leveldrummer
01/16/2014, 10:33 AM
I have a clip, I tied a peice of fishing line to the clip, and the other end to the canopy/brace of the tank, use just enough fishing line so the clip dangles in the middle of the tank. add a peice of nori and drop it in the tank. the flow blows it around, the fish go nuts, after its cleaned off, i pull the clip out and clip it up to a wire out of the way.

d2mini
01/16/2014, 10:37 AM
I know it's a little pricey for what it is, but I use it daily and it's soooooooo much easier than anything else. Only the very tips of my fingers get wet!

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_Veggie_Mag_Feeding_Clip_Magnet_Fish_Food_Clips_Feeding_Stations-Two_Little_Fishies-TL50720-FIFDFECF-vi.html

My only problem with it is the clip has separated from the magnet a couple times. But i just crazy glue it back together when that happens.

Indymann99
01/16/2014, 03:18 PM
some left over egg crate... and a clip with the suction cup removed. Just hangs over the tank center brace. Also keeps the sails and hermits from getting to the Nori.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/DSC_0296.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Indymann99/media/DSC_0296.jpg.html)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/DSC_0297.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Indymann99/media/DSC_0297.jpg.html)

Palting
01/16/2014, 04:13 PM
Just get the veggie clip. Worth the cost. The suction cup version is much cheaper than the magnet version.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VGN-9TgV0qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The_Blenny357
01/16/2014, 04:54 PM
Just get the veggie clip. Worth the cost. The suction cup version is much cheaper than the magnet version.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VGN-9TgV0qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have one but i really hate the looks, btw guys this is for my 3g pico invert only so i want the snails and crabs to get it lol.

davocean
01/16/2014, 06:03 PM
Have one but i really hate the looks, btw guys this is for my 3g pico invert only so i want the snails and crabs to get it lol.

I agree the clips add more clutter than I care for too, but honestly I would not be going out of my way to feed nori to snails and crabs.
I reserve nori for fish that really need it in their diet or crave it, like tangs.

cloak
01/16/2014, 07:04 PM
I agree the clips add more clutter than I care for too, but honestly I would not be going out of my way to feed nori to snails and crabs.
I reserve nori for fish that really need it in their diet or crave it, like tangs.

I wouldn't go out of my way to feed the CUC either. It kind of defeats the purpose. If they happen to die due to starvation, so be it.

mrkalel
01/16/2014, 07:37 PM
I second the clip... Love using them in my DT. I used to have one that was magnetic and a long arm...worked great until the Tangs got larger and stronger than the magnet could hold. These seem to work great.

One suggestion, do not keep the Nori sheets too long, they will tear off. I like to fold them a few times before clipping them...

d2mini
01/16/2014, 09:49 PM
+1... i was gonna say... i always fold my nori sheet at least twice, into a square. This keeps giant chunks from ripping off and floating away. :)

hogfanreefer
01/16/2014, 10:13 PM
I fold mine several times and then cut slits about 1/4" wide and use a magnetic veggie clip. As soon as all the nori is gone (usually just a few minutes) I slide it up and take out of the tank. No fuss, no muss.