PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater down Septic? Safe?

flyhigh123
01/15/2014, 04:38 PM
Is it safe to put saltwater down a septic system?

I was thinking of doing water changes and it would be easier for me to dump around 40 gallons of water every 2 weeks down my septic then elsewhere...

anyone know if that kills the bacteria to help break down the other stuff?

duperdave
01/15/2014, 04:42 PM
hard to say but I'd worry more about plumbing fittings depending on how old your house is.I dump mine in the driveway to kill weeds.

Nina51
01/15/2014, 04:57 PM
i dump mine out the front door onto the deck. it kills the weeds under there. i have a septic, too, and i wouldn't dump it down there.

phillrodrigo
01/15/2014, 05:23 PM
I wouldnt think there would be a issue. Theres always water going down so it wont have salt on it long. Drains are pitched or are supposed to be so it goes right out to the septic.

disc1
01/15/2014, 05:23 PM
I've seen compelling arguments both ways. To me it seems like if the septic system is big enough and the amount of water small enough then it all gets diluted out and the salt there makes no more difference than anything else that goes down the sink.

SVTour
01/15/2014, 06:25 PM
I've been dumping 45 gallons down drain every two or three weeks since 2003. Hasn't killed the system yet.

Way I see it...it's more bacteria for the system. Now, whether that's right or wrong I don't know, but that's the story I'm sticking with ;)

Yogre
01/15/2014, 06:30 PM
If you have a water softener you'll get a lot more salt in your system than you'd get from your tank unless you have a really big tank.

Most homes in my neighborhood have softeners, and all are on well and septic. I'm not aware of anyone having issues, and some of the homes are 20 years old.

FWIW.

ChrisPrusha
01/15/2014, 07:35 PM
I have been doing it since 1999, without any problems. Plenty of salt in your pee, too. ;)

thegrun
01/15/2014, 08:04 PM
You do need to worry about the leach lines long term (if you have them) as the salt will eventually render the soil barren.

jbmills78
01/15/2014, 08:11 PM
You do need to worry about the leach lines long term (if you have them) as the salt will eventually render the soil barren.

I've also wondered how the salt would effect an aerobic system, where the effluent is sprayed out onto the lawn.

I'm going to tag along!

~J

mfinn
01/15/2014, 08:26 PM
Been dumping 70+ gallons every 2 weeks, in my septic system for 22 years and it still works fine and the grass is still growing.

sanababit
01/15/2014, 08:33 PM
I have been dumping salt water for about 8+ years, nothing has happened, i own a water softener too, when they regenerate or clean themselves they use NaCl (salt) and this water goes down the drain too, so no worries my friend, unless your water district prohibits the disposal of salt down the drain, they might state that the salt might interact with their sewage plant, i say is BS

Sana

dkeller_nc
01/16/2014, 08:52 AM
Whether or not this is eventually going to mess up your field lines may depend greatly on where you live. In the East, there's enough rain and water traveling through the soil to where salt buildup would be a non-issue except for huge saltwater tank operations.

In the West, it may be dry enough to the point where adding the salt for 20 gallon - 40 gallons of water changes a month might buildup over time.

thegrun
01/16/2014, 09:12 AM
Whether or not this is eventually going to mess up your field lines may depend greatly on where you live. In the East, there's enough rain and water traveling through the soil to where salt buildup would be a non-issue except for huge saltwater tank operations.

In the West, it may be dry enough to the point where adding the salt for 20 gallon - 40 gallons of water changes a month might buildup over time.

Good point. We don't get a lot of rainfall here, but in areas with a lot of rain it wouldn't matter.