PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding which tank to go with...

cvcoda
01/15/2014, 09:39 PM
I'm upgrading to a 120g and I'm trying to decide between an Aqueon 120 with two rear overflows or the Marineland 120 with one corner overflow. Any opinion on which I should go with and why?

Thanks!

Usernam Invalid
01/15/2014, 09:56 PM
If u are goin to view tank from all 3 side u will want the rear overflows. IMO corner overflows r an eyesore unless tank is recessed.

raybyrne67
01/15/2014, 10:03 PM
I would go with the marineland.

hogfanreefer
01/15/2014, 10:10 PM
Deep Sea Aquatics has a 135 that's 48x24x27 that has a single center overflow. I have one of their tanks and have been very happy with it.

cvcoda
01/15/2014, 10:24 PM
I would go with the marineland.

Why the Marineland over the Aqueon?

cvcoda
01/15/2014, 10:30 PM
Deep Sea Aquatics has a 135 that's 48x24x27 that has a single center overflow. I have one of their tanks and have been very happy with it.

$1225 for just the drilled tank with overflow delivered to my door is pretty pricey!

drdavethedude
01/15/2014, 10:32 PM
I would go Marineland as well, but agree it partly depends on whether you will be viewing the tank from the overflow side or not . You may also want the redundancy of the 2nd overflow as a safety feature, or go with one of the siphon set ups where additional drains are necessary.
Personally, I have a custom 120 gallon tank and I went with a single corner overflow on the side I knew would be near a wall. The Aqueon overflows take up too much valuable space, and make good flow harder to attain without using additional powerheads. Access to the overflows is also harder, when one of your fish ends up in there, because you can't approach from the side. Also, IMHO a lot of flow through a sump is over-rated, and often counterproductive...I prefer slow flow through the sump and a single overflow is sufficient for that.

Lateralus
01/16/2014, 04:44 AM
I have the dual overflows, I feel they take up too much space and wish I would have gone with the single corner. I think it would be good if you're running a big return pump but I'm only running a mag 9.5 and its just way too much overflow.

cvcoda
01/16/2014, 08:47 AM
I have the dual overflows, I feel they take up too much space and wish I would have gone with the single corner. I think it would be good if you're running a big return pump but I'm only running a mag 9.5 and its just way too much overflow.

My only concern with the corner overflow is having to look at it from one side of the tank. The house I live in now is not permanent so I don't know where it will end up in my next home. If I don't frame it in a wall, it will most likely be in the open with all three viewing sides open. I just don't want an eyesore.

Does anyone know of any affordable options with a single overflow? I want to keep the 4x2x2 dimensions.

MRCYCS805
01/16/2014, 08:53 AM
I wold do a rear center thats what i ordered on my 120 60" that im gonna start building ive had corner overflows for many years and am tired of staring at my durso when i eat dinner lol!! No matter what get what you like/want cause in the end your the one thats gotta look at it .

cvcoda
01/16/2014, 09:33 AM
I wold do a rear center thats what i ordered on my 120 60" that im gonna start building ive had corner overflows for many years and am tired of staring at my durso when i eat dinner lol!! No matter what get what you like/want cause in the end your the one thats gotta look at it .

What kind of tank did you buy? How much for just the tank?