PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump Question

LS90gal
01/16/2014, 04:59 PM
Just recently installed a quiet one 4000 hh sump pump in my basement. I am using this pump to pump up premixed saltwater to my tank when I am doing a water change. The pump is pumping about 12 ft from my basement to my tank. The return on the pump is 3/4" I reduced it to 1/2" hose. When I turn the pump on it just bearly flows in to my tank. Would I have more pressure if I used 3/4" hose for return or the pump is just not strong enough to pump that much head ? I though if I reduced the return hose size to 1/2" I would get more pressure coming up to the tank. This pump is rated for 13' max head.
Also if I was to buy a bigger pump and its pumping to much GPh, would I put a ball value on the intake or return side?

Mark Bianco
01/16/2014, 05:22 PM
Never close off or restrict the incoming side of a pump. Always restrict the outgoing if necessary.

If a pump has a head of 13' that means that at 13' with the same size hose as the outlet it will have no flow..

Depending on how long you want to wait I suggest getting a pump that will handle at least 200gph at 13' head. It will move the water slowly at only 3.3 gallons per minute...

Mark

atreis
01/16/2014, 06:17 PM
You'd get a little more if you use 3/4" all the way up, but not much. The 4000 HH has a max head of 13'. Based on the flow curve here (MarineDepot) (http://www.marinedepot.com/pumps_pentair_aquatics_rainbow_lifegard_quiet_one_information-ap.html) under ideal conditions you could expect to get 300 gph at 12'.

LS90gal
01/16/2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the response guys.