PDA

View Full Version : jawfish substrate depth

bfin3
01/16/2014, 08:41 PM
So those of you with jawfish, what would you consider the minimal accepted substrate. Would like to be able to have a blue spot but not if it means I have a tank full of sand. I really don't want to put any more than 3" in and I don't like unhappy fish.

RayL
01/16/2014, 09:31 PM
3" would work. I wouldn't go any less then 2, but 3 would be better

Meanmike
01/16/2014, 11:41 PM
Honestly as long as there is enough sand in the tank it will use it to build up its home. If you only had 1" of sand in a 6' tank then it would suitable as well.

alton
01/17/2014, 06:58 AM
Jawfish are at home sleeping vertical so 4" is fine. In saying that the whole tank does not have to be 4" just a small area. You need small rubble and shell for them to build there home and be happy.

Fishmommy
01/17/2014, 07:05 AM
good thread.

I am wondering when I add a jawfish for the first time to my display, should I already have added rubble or should I wait until it picks a spot and dump a pile of it nearby?

Also, if I add the rubble first, should I distribute it or is a pile somewhere fine?

Meanmike
01/17/2014, 08:45 AM
As long as there is plenty of rubble in the tank they will gather it up themselves. However it wouldn't hurt to add some close to where it decides to build its burrow.

alton
01/17/2014, 10:18 AM
Here is a picture of my yellow head. I believe I used Caribsea Super Reef. Like mean mike said if you have plenty of rubble they pile it up.

mc-cro
01/17/2014, 01:35 PM
mine is either retarded or lazy. he never goes to get rubble and buildiing material. If I put pile it near its burrow, he will use every bit of it. but he's not going out of his way to get building materials

Sugar Magnolia
01/17/2014, 01:45 PM
mine is either retarded or lazy. he never goes to get rubble and buildiing material. If I put pile it near its burrow, he will use every bit of it. but he's not going out of his way to get building materials

:lol:

Fishmommy
01/17/2014, 01:50 PM
thanks for the info, and thanks for the picture! Adorable little bugger - glad I planned for one.
I am going to pile up rubble where I hope mine will choose to dig and see what happens.

ptbmaniac
01/17/2014, 08:54 PM
I think 3" is fine. I have about 5" in my tank for my future jawfish.

PatW
01/18/2014, 03:05 AM
Many years ago, I had two pearly jawfish. Pick forget how much depth of substrate I had. It was probably about 3 or 4 inches. When they construct their burrows, they collect pebbles and artfully arrange them around the burrow. When one fish was feeding, the other would take he opportunity to steal a pebble. Then the first fish would try to get it back. They squabbled endlessly over their treasures but never stemmed to harm each other. It was very entertaining. I would recommend that you provide enough coarse bubble and shell fragments for your jawfish to have their trophy collection.

syrinx
01/18/2014, 12:30 PM

No yours is smart! The whole point of them burrowing is for protection. Yours is following its nature by not taking a risk of free water swimming.