PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever stop buying corals?

tang named junkyard
01/17/2014, 12:44 AM
its hard to stop jamming things into the glass cubes

NastyZ
01/17/2014, 12:48 AM
It's hard I find myself buying stuff I really like/want to replace some of the things I bought just cuz it was a deal or impulse buy

Moral of the story buy what your really like it will save you money in the long run

worm5406
01/17/2014, 12:59 AM
Humm I just bought out a guy, locally, that is getting out of the hobby. I think I bought all but his mushrooms.

One of the items is the size of a cantaloupe. lol

I pick it up on Sunday AM, so I guess the answer to your questions is, for this week, NO.

:)

alf03
01/17/2014, 01:03 AM
Definitely hard to stop buying stuff for my 28g nano... It's packed aha...

stevedola
01/17/2014, 07:35 AM
The best is when you find friends that you can share your corals with so this hobby isnt as expensive. Over the years Ive found a group of reefers that share the same respect for these little animals as I do. We trade back and forth, little if any money involved, with the understanding that if I give you a coral and I lose it (by some unfortunate accident) then you'll send a frag back my way (and vice versa). I will get messages from some telling me that I need to stop by and grab a frag of some new acro because its amazing and it needs to be in my tank...the tank is full but I always seem to find the space ;-)

faithenfire
01/17/2014, 08:13 AM
nope, not yet. though i try and do it slowly though and see what is working in my tank and what's not.

i just found my orange tree coral that had been missing for months after a cleaning. It's happy as can be.

phillrodrigo
01/17/2014, 09:53 AM
It's hard I find myself buying stuff I really like/want to replace some of the things I bought just cuz it was a deal or impulse buy

Moral of the story buy what your really like it will save you money in the long run

I agree 100% im kinda doung that right now. Im more doing it because as ive gotten further into this hobby your taste changes and the amount of money you will spend changes. I wouldnt spend 100$ plus in a coral now I would. Actually im going to get a orange wall hammer on monday and its $100. Before never would think of spending $100 pp of zoa theres a few I would now. Im trying to find some black hornets from a fellow reefers I wouldn't spend the 350pp thats insane

Art13
01/17/2014, 10:09 AM
I agree with spend the money for what you want, but if your new to the reef like i am, i started small and cheap, and from there went to mid priced, say no more that $50 per piece. I won't move up from there until i'm sure of my knowledge and ability but i do constantly keep adding to my tank, but i vary it and see if i can meet the needs of that coral, if i can, i may in the future try some designer pieces. Kinda like phillrodrigo's thoughts, but not because i can't see that being a reasonable price, more along the lines of i just killed a $20 chalice as opposed to i just killed a $200 chalice, granted no one once a loss, but the first doesn't hit you as hard.

snorvich
01/17/2014, 10:18 AM
The problem is that in the long term, you run out of room. Corals, even slow growing ones, need pruning. I never purchase fast growing ones unless I really, really like the effect the produce. So, for me, unless I get more tanks (which has other marital consequences), I do not purchase corals.

mkengr45
01/17/2014, 05:42 PM
My thinking is that space in my tank is limited and precious so I only put things in that I really like. I don't care if it's a good deal on a large piece, if it's not pretty it's just a big cheap turd taking up space that could be better utilized. My tank is an SPS dominant 144 half circle.

syrinx
01/17/2014, 05:50 PM
I seldom buy corals. I am not a frag guy- so I go for fewer show size colonies. When a tank needs an addition, I will usually frag from one tank to another, but I have a dozen tanks to choose from.

Misled
01/17/2014, 06:34 PM
I've stopped for now. My last real purchase was just over a year ago and was a RBTA about the size of a silver dollar. There are now 4 RBTAs each about 5 inches across.Probably gonna need a new tank before I need more corals.

Squidmotron
01/17/2014, 07:55 PM
No and stop making me feel guilty about it.