PDA

View Full Version : Dead green chromis

pumpdogs
01/17/2014, 05:18 AM
My buddy and me started our tanks over the weekend and this is his first reef.To make a long short he went against my advise and let a lfs store worker talk him into to buying 6 green chromis to start the nitrogen cycle in his 125 gal tank.Well 2 days later they are all dead.He asked me if he should take them out and I told him to leave them in there a few more days because this should help with the ammoinia spike.Is this the right advise?
Moral of story for him is to never listen to LFS they are just trying to make a sale.

snorvich
01/17/2014, 05:32 AM
My buddy and me started our tanks over the weekend and this is his first reef.To make a long short he went against my advise and let a lfs store worker talk him into to buying 6 green chromis to start the nitrogen cycle in his 125 gal tank.Well 2 days later they are all dead.He asked me if he should take them out and I told him to leave them in there a few more days because this should help with the ammoinia spike.Is this the right advise?
Moral of story for him is to never listen to LFS they are just trying to make a sale.

Sad. Leaving one in is fine, more will just make a mess. Using fish to cycle a tank is archaic out of the last century. Sends a message about the advice from that LFS, however.

danderso
01/17/2014, 06:48 AM
Agreed. Leave one dearly departed. And find a new lfs if possible.

Gandolfe
01/17/2014, 06:51 AM
if it was a new tank with freshwater and a 125, they all shouldn't have died in two days. There is no way 6 chromis could create that much ammonia in 2 days. there was something else that killed the fish. IMO anyway

pumpdogs
01/17/2014, 07:21 AM
His salinity and temp are normal but his tank is cloudy with a greenish tint.Its been running since monday.

pumpdogs
01/17/2014, 07:23 AM
if it was a new tank with freshwater and a 125, they all shouldn't have died in two days. There is no way 6 chromis could create that much ammonia in 2 days. there was something else that killed the fish. IMO anyway

He is using dry rock like me and he added a small piece of cured live rock from my 72 gal and I gave him a cup of sand to seed his sand bed.