PDA

View Full Version : Apex controller questions? Help please...

Reefahholic
01/17/2014, 07:03 AM
What if my computer is on the other side of the room? How will the Ethernet reach? Do you guys buy longer cables or move ur computer close to the tank?

What about the aquabus cables or other cables? I want to mount my apex on a 1/4" piece of plywood by the tank on the wall. Will all that reach, and what if they are too short?

Last question...what doser is best with the apex? I like the Profilux doser, but should I not get the stand alone if I'm gonna control it with the apex? Also, how does the apex control all 3-4 pumps? You only have to use one outlet on the EB8 right. It should control all the pumps in that one unit right?

ryeguyy84
01/17/2014, 07:21 AM
What if my computer is on the other side of the room? How will the Ethernet reach? Do you guys buy longer cables or move ur computer close to the tank?

What about the aquabus cables or other cables? I want to mount my apex on a 1/4" piece of plywood by the tank on the wall. Will all that reach, and what if they are too short?

Last question...what doser is best with the apex? I like the Profilux doser, but should I not get the stand alone if I'm gonna control it with the apex? Also, how does the apex control all 3-4 pumps? You only have to use one outlet on the EB8 right. It should control all the pumps in that one unit right?

the computer does not need to connect to the apex unit but the apex needs to connect to the internet. I use a netgear wireless adapter so mine is "Wireless"

I've found the aquabus cables to be long enough, but you would need to measure how long you will need vs. how long they give you

I use BRS dosers with mine. I don't know much about the Profilux doser but I think it has a built in controller so plugging it into the apex would be a waste of an outlet. you want a doser that needs a timer to run, and you would plug each one into an outlet.

Reefahholic
01/17/2014, 11:17 AM
Ok, I didn't realize you could go wireless! Do you need a wireless router too? My internet is through the cable.

So independent dosers with timers work well with the apex. I'll have to find some nice ones.

How long are the aquabus cables provided with unit, anybody know?

cakemanPA
01/17/2014, 12:09 PM
I have a wireless router and I connect my apex to it using a wireless adapter.

ryeguyy84
01/17/2014, 12:16 PM
You will need a wireless router and adapter. I used a NETGEAR WNCE2001-100NAR Universal Wireless Internet Adapter. It took 5 minutes to setup. As for the cable I think 6 foot (I think) but they sell different lengths online if that's not enough.

Check out the brs dosers. They aren't fancy but they work great.

Reefahholic
01/17/2014, 01:27 PM
Ok thx guys!

nlgill13
01/17/2014, 02:44 PM
One thing about setting up your Apex for wireless...

You will need to set an IP address in your Apex. If you are are using a PC to connect wirelessly you will want to set the Apex IP address to 192.168.1.XX (ie XX is a higher number that won't be used for anything else like 50+). If you are using a Mac to connect wirelessly you will want to set the Apex IP address to 10.0.1.XX (ie XX is a higher number that won't be used for anything else like 50+).

You will also want to set your Apex's User Name and Password. When you type in either 192.168.1.XX or 10.0.1.XX into your internet browser address line you will be prompted with a User Name and Password. This will be the User Name and Password you have chosen in your Apex.

Once connected you should see your Neptune Dashboard of your controller.

Good luck

Reefahholic
01/17/2014, 04:04 PM
One thing about setting up your Apex for wireless...

You will need to set an IP address in your Apex. If you are are using a PC to connect wirelessly you will want to set the Apex IP address to 192.168.1.XX (ie XX is a higher number that won't be used for anything else like 50+). If you are using a Mac to connect wirelessly you will want to set the Apex IP address to 10.0.1.XX (ie XX is a higher number that won't be used for anything else like 50+).

You will also want to set your Apex's User Name and Password. When you type in either 192.168.1.XX or 10.0.1.XX into your internet browser address line you will be prompted with a User Name and Password. This will be the User Name and Password you have chosen in your Apex.

Once connected you should see your Neptune Dashboard of your controller.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip!

mr9iron
01/17/2014, 04:44 PM
Also, when you update the firmware of the Apex you CANNOT do it over the wireless network. You must connect it to the router via a Ethernet cable. You can go to your local computer store and they can usually make you one any length you need for pretty cheap.

Reefahholic
01/17/2014, 04:57 PM
Also, when you update the firmware of the Apex you CANNOT do it over the wireless network. You must connect it to the router via a Ethernet cable. You can go to your local computer store and they can usually make you one any length you need for pretty cheap.

Man thx...I surely would have been scratching my head with that.

"Why won't this firmware update?" Arr... Lol

kdumph
01/17/2014, 06:37 PM
Really good info, answered a few of the questions I had. Looks like I will be going with the BRS dosers.

ElmoC
01/18/2014, 11:03 AM
http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?54-Read-this-first-Adding-Wireless

ryeguyy84
01/19/2014, 11:27 AM
For a firmware update you just download the update program and directly connect it to a laptop/computer.

LobsterOfJustice
01/19/2014, 03:00 PM
FYI - yes, you will need to use an EB8 outlet for each doser, and they will need to go on outlets 4 or 8 due to the type of outlet. You can only use them on the other outlets if you run something else with them (plug in a power strip and run a night light and the doser off it). You mentioned 4 pumps in your original post... if that's the case, pick up an EB4 to run the pumps off of (EB4 has all 4 outlets capable of running small equipment).

ElmoC
01/19/2014, 03:22 PM
You can only use them on the other outlets if you run something else with them

I use these to get around that problem...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B81E/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1