PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year Hiatus

CassAttack
01/17/2014, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone! I used to post on this forum all the time many years ago and now I'm back after a break of sorts :) I sold all my tanks a few years ago when I was moving. Now that my life has settled down a wee bit I'm thinking about getting another tank. So I guess my question is- what has changed in 5 years?? I've noticed that most of the physical stores here in CT have closed down, do most of you buy online now?

I'm looking at a smaller system and would like to do acros and other hard corals this time around. I'd like an all in one system with a metal halide - any good options? I liked the Cardiff aquarium but seems as though it's been discontinued.

It might be a little while before I actually can get a tank but I'd love a refresher course from the experts in the meantime :)

IowaReefer
01/17/2014, 11:19 AM
Same basic science and equipment, but I would say the major change has been the move to LED lighting systems. Cheaper and cooler to run, and no bulbs to replace. There are also lots of new, smaller aquarium designs out there by Fluval, JBJ, Nuvo, etc.

JB63
01/17/2014, 12:05 PM
There is also new 'technology' available e.g. Dozing pumps that do automatic water changes ...

DLANDINO
01/17/2014, 12:27 PM
Welcome back! We are still in Clinton so when you are ready for frags let me know! Also don't be shy in hitting me up for tips and tricks that I have learned along the way. Good luck in your new adventure!

CassAttack
01/18/2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone!! I actually am loving the idea of LEDs (I had a love/hate relationship with my MH back in the day) and I'm so happy to see some amazing SPS tanks using only LEDs! Could someone tell me more about these automatic water changes and dosing pumps? Sounds sweet!

Molly1414
01/18/2014, 11:50 PM
I am in the same situation. Have been out of salt water for six years and just now getting back into it. I have been astonished at all the changes and improvements in six years. LED lights, improvements in salt for reefs, pumps, filtration media and the ability to grow coral not just keep it alive. I really like the fact that i can set up a tank and not feel guilty about it. I can buy things now that have been tank grown and not removed from the ocean.

McGarnicle
01/19/2014, 12:22 AM
Pretty much in the same boat as well, had a nice 75g reef and left the hobby for about 3 years and now its a whole new ball game.