PDA

View Full Version : Hanging lights under canopy? Let me SEE!! AI Hydras

60gal reef guy
01/17/2014, 10:06 AM
Planning on grabbing a couple AI hydras this weekend, with later possibly adding a third one on my 125gal. I really like my stand and canopy. Good quality but don't have a good idea short of doing a custom job that might take awhile a good way to mount these. So I'm wondering what others have done. Thinking some kind of rail system.. Then somehow mounting the rail system. Another idea is ditching the canopy all together and then I have seen plenty of ways of mounting but would like to keep it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IowaReefer
01/17/2014, 11:12 AM
I just cut a hole in the top of my canopy and set my LED unit on top of it. To eliminate sagging, I reinforced the top of the canopy from the inside. I do not have AIs, but a very similar fixture. Best solution I could come up with.

ThreeMoneyJ
01/17/2014, 12:40 PM
I cut a hole in the top of my canopy that is slightly smaller than the light (AI Vega). Then I drilled 2 mounting holes and bought extra long screws. The screws go in from the top. So screw-washer-canopy-washer-light. The lights stay cool with the vent holes I made and everything is hidden in the canopy.