PDA

View Full Version : Is kawkwasser needed with a calcium reactor

john08007
01/17/2014, 11:00 AM
In my old tank I did not have a calcium reactor, when I added top off water I mixed in the kawkwasser and poured it in, in my new set up I plan on adding a calcium reactor. So, can my top off water now be straight RO water?

IanWR
01/17/2014, 11:43 AM
It can be, although running kalk can help keep ph up if you find your ca reactor is lowering ph more than you like.

EasyEd77
01/17/2014, 02:51 PM
I run my calcium reactor without kalk and have not had any issues. I have my effluent dripping in the same compartment of my sump where the overflow and skimmer are. I read that the additional air bubbles in this area will help buffer the PH from the reactor effluent to the correct levels of the aquarium.

ca1ore
01/17/2014, 07:05 PM
It really just depends on how much calcium and alkalinity your tank consumes (big clams in particular can really suck up the calcium). I run a Ca reactor, use kalk AND dose 2-part to keep up, but YMMV.

Roy Arena
01/17/2014, 09:23 PM
You may not need to run them both depending on your tanks current demand. But if your keeping up with Kalk now keep using it. It's much more economical and does the job for most systems.