PDA

View Full Version : Tank Upgrade Shopping List and Questions

erickcooper
01/17/2014, 03:26 PM
Hi, all. I’m getting ready to upgrade my 75g to a 125g and have a shopping list (after I’ve done all my research).

I currently have a maroon clown, scopas tang, scarlett hawk, coral beauty and one green chromis. All of them are 5-7 years old. I have a leather, zoos and various mushrooms.

Here’s what I’m planning to get: 125g tank (predrilled with the returns inside the tank), stand and canopy Eshopps R-300 Refugium and plumbing essentials, but I have a light. New heater and return pump. I already have a skimmer for the refugium and I have a Fluval FX5 that I really like I will run on the new tank as well. I also have a lighting system I like very much, Coralife Aqualight Pro w/ halids to move to the new tank, and various compacts to use in the meantime while I’m running two tanks. The lighting system is only 48” so I’ll have 12” on either side of it on the 125, but that’s fine as I’ll leave free-swimming room on the sides.

And then, here are my questions:

1. Anyone see any issues?
2. I’m unsure what return pump to get. How about a Mag12? Is that too much?
3. The macroalgae I wanted to use is halimeda. I have a clump of it in my main tank (hitchhiker) that I really like. I prune it as necessary but it doesn’t seem to spread like other algaes. Anyone use it other than the most common chaeto or caulerp?

Any other thoughts, anyone? I’ll certainly entertain any suggestions! Eric

moondoggy4
01/17/2014, 04:13 PM
Welcome to Reef Central! Are you going to place the 125 where the 75 is? Mag 12 are good pumps Eheim are really good pumps also you could look into a 1262 but they are pricey.

erickcooper
01/17/2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks, moondoggy4. No, it won't go in the same spot. We're replacing carpets in the house and I have to move the tank. So, I'll put the 125 in the dining room after that carpet goes in, transfer the tanks, and then replace the carpet in the living room. Good opportunity to upgrade!! I've just never used a refugium or pre-drilled tank before, so I came looking for help.

moondoggy4
01/17/2014, 09:10 PM
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.aquacave.com/Eshopps-RS-300-Berlin-Style-Reef-Sump-for-tanks-225-300-gallons-P2759.aspx&sa=U&ei=pPDZUra8OMLkoATwwoLICw&ved=0CEkQFjAK&sig2=qkCqocwhYPSjgCqhE7C3lg&usg=AFQjCNEFD8x5_BSR0eJIeIeK8mnteuC5YA

moondoggy4
01/17/2014, 09:16 PM
Your sump does not have a fuge section, you could use maybe a 40 gallon breeder from Petco if they are having the 1 dollar per gallon sale, make your own baffles so you can have a fuge. Your tank will have two returns but one will have to go all the way across the sump so you will need to do solid plumbing.

erickcooper
01/20/2014, 09:23 PM
My last question: if I go with the predrilled tank with the holes in the bottom, what happens if I need to do some sort of maintenance on the system or decide I don't like the sump? How do you keep the tank from completely emptying if I decide to disconnect the sump/refugium? I'm sure there's a way, right?