PDA

View Full Version : Media Question - Carbon, GFO etc...

agranoff
01/17/2014, 04:54 PM
I have a nuvo 16 - been up and running a couple of months now. 2 clowns and some coral with plans to add more coral.

I currently run:

- IM desktop skimmer

- Just added chemi pure elite to one of my media baskets with the IM mechanical sponge on top

- I have a small amount of chaeto in the other basket (which is a small fug with an LED on it) with the IM mechanical sponge on top.

- I also have a clean up crew of various snails - which I don't want to starve out

I have some algae but so far its well under control.

My questions:

I have a media reactor I am not using and also have some gfo and carbon.

1. Should I run this reactor since I have it in a preventative manner or hold off since I have no issues right now?

2. Would running gfo be overkill with everything else and risk starving the CUC or macro algae?

3. Would running carbon with the chemi pure elite be overkill?

I realize this isn't an exact science but any thoughts from previous experience would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

mcgyvr
01/17/2014, 05:08 PM
test your phosphates.. If they are not where they should be you can use gfo to reduce them..
If not.. IMO just hold off..
Patience grasshopper ;)

The only way to add some science into it is to measure your parameters and see what needs to be adjusted.. I'm not one to just throw everything at it.. Give it time and adjust as needed..

agranoff
01/18/2014, 10:45 AM
What's the best way to test phosphates? I've read it's difficult to do with a test kit.

Thanks.

downbeach
01/18/2014, 10:56 AM
A Hanna meter would be best for PO4. The chemipure elite is both carbon and GFO. I wouldn't use anything else unless there's a problem.

agranoff
01/25/2014, 10:25 AM
I got the Hanna checker and my phosphates measured at .11ppm. Thoughts? Whats a good level?

rovster
01/25/2014, 11:14 AM
That is high, but don't fall in the trap of chasing numbers. If things look good, as stated previously, stay the course. Keep the reactor on standby for when it's needed. You will inevitably increase your bioload at some point, do save it for then. Also carbon and CPE is redundant. Purigen and CPE is very popular among the nano crowd, I ran that for almost 2 years with no issues. Now that I've moved to a slightly larger tank and huge bioload, I find myself needing to run a small amount of gfo.