PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Use Microbe-Lift PH Buffer/Stabilizer

AYGurgies
01/17/2014, 10:26 PM
Ok, here is what happened to me. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a beter pH Buffer than what I was using ( Which is the Seachem) and started doing the research, so I found the Microbe-Lift pH buffer/stabilizer Aquarium Conditioners & pH Buffers: Microbe-Lift Reef/Marine pH Buffer Stabilizer by Ecological Labs
Last week I used it for the first time. After one day, diatom Algae started showing up and I thought it's probabally the flake food which I'm using very very little. Four days ago, I used it again. After one day, I saw the diatom Algae spreading all over the live sand. I did the water test for Nitrate, and it was 0. I did the Phosphate test and it's 0.10. I thought it was my Phosphate media (Rowaphos) Which I just changed a couple of weeks ago. I waited for a day, and my Phosphate went down to 0.07 which means my Phosphate media is doing its job as expected. Today, I used Microbe-Lift again first thing in the morning after I did the water test for Phosphate which was 0.04. When I came home in the evening around 05:00PM I found the diatom doubled, and it's almost covering two thirds of my live sand and few rocks. I did a water test again and my Phosphate was 0.12 and I got freaked out. I found where the problem is coming from and I wanted to make sure more so I did the following. I got some RO/DI water and did the test and my Phosphate was 0.02. I got some RO/DI water and added some Microbe-lift pH Buffer to it and did the test and guess what the result was? It was 0.69. Yep! This product is full of Phosphate, so, do not add it to your tank. By the way, I'm using the hanna checker Phosphate test kit. Here is a picture of the product