PDA

View Full Version : getting tanks tomorrow, what else do I need?

Halo_003
01/18/2014, 12:42 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to get a 40 breeder and a 29g for my sump, yay for Petco.:bounce1: Over the next few months I'll be piecing it together, but do you guys have any recommendations on what else to get? Especially on some of the more advanced equipment. I am on a budget though so please keep that in mind. :)

This is my first SW tank, and I want to keep it simple and maintenance free as possible.

Here's my initial list of stuff:

Gear:
40b DT, 29g sump
Koralia nano 425gph - already have it from my cichlid tank. Is it enough or would I need another? Or a stronger one?
2x 100w eheim jager heaters - enough?
Corallife super skimmer 65g rated
Return pump and over flow - not a clue. I'm not opposed to drilling the tank though if needed, but I'm not sure how to calculate gph then.
Lighting - for now, diy LED, 72w total - already have it
I don't think I'm missing anything major, but if I am please warn me.

Planned livestock(mostly fish only initially at least):
Torch coral of some sort if doable on lower power lighting. , just something the clowns could host.
ZOA's?
2x Picasso clowns from exotic-reefs
2x bangaii cardinal
Blue damsel
Purple dottyback
Firefish
3 blue/green chromis - maybe just 1, I hear groups become 1. Failing that, any ideas on a fish that would group together?
Flasher wrasse of some sort

How does all of this look? Decent plan? I'd like to have a lot of fish ideally, having started in cichlids I like a busy tank.

Also, how much rock and sand is really needed? I prefer the look of less rock in the DT , with a typical amount of sand. I would be willing to put rock/sand in the sump as a fuge though. How much does that really help filtration? I've heard a 3-4 inch sand bed fuge is better than a skimmer.

As far as fish go, I like an active and colorful tank, I like the cardinals though because they look cool. Are there any other obvious choices that would work well? Ideas on easy coral are welcome as well.

Edit: sorry, meant to part in beginners discussion. (New to the hobby)

dotcommer
01/18/2014, 01:02 AM
One of the first things is how to get the water from the DT to the sump. A hang on the back HOB overflow box makes it easy. Just do a quick internet search. This is another way for it to be done. You would need to drill the back top of the tank and do some research on how to plumb it. Here is a link (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-overflow-1200-gph-overflow-box.html)

Bangai Cardinal are great fish, but please make sure to by tank raised. They are being overfished and only come from a few places. As far as the damsel fish, I love the Azure Damsel. It's not as aggressive as the others and they will keep your tank clean of Red Planaria Flat worms, it you are unlucky and get some.

wrott
01/18/2014, 01:03 AM
I would not add a Damsel or dottyback or flasher wrasse to a 40.
Use eggcrate to keep fish in tank. I believe 40b are not tempered, but definitely verify.
Look at other fish in this category if you want it busy:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

I would not add sand/rock to fuge, just a ball of cheato and a power-head and light.
You'll need a bag of sand unless you're going bare-bottom.